Greetings

jcl333

Non-member
Hello everyone,

I am getting ready to start a build thread, but thought I should post to introductions first. I was encouraged to do so after seeing the replies from people who are on the Cape. I live in Arlington, but I am from the Cape (Sandwich) and have lots of family there so I still visit a few times a year.

I have been keeping freshwater fish off and on for almost 40 years, only tried saltwater once when I was a teenager (it had an under-gravel filter to give you an idea). To those of you on the cape, I used to work at Sandwich Pet Center and Falmouth Pet Center when I was in HS before I left for college.

So, funny story, I was actually getting ready to build the mother-of-all African Cichlid setups after being out of the hobby for a long time, and then my wife says the magic words to me.... "I don't care how much it costs, I want a salt water tank".... you all probably felt a disturbance in the force at that moment.

See I already have another expensive hobby, home theater, and so I didn't even entertain the idea of doing a saltwater / reef tank because I knew how much it would cost and I didn't want to listen to the complaints, but this should address that problem.

I am still worried about the complexity and time commitments though. With the Cichlid tank I was going to try and get as close to maintenance free as I could, that will be a much bigger challenge with a reef tank.

I have been doing my research for a couple months now. Actually I was just dabbling about in various internet forums for that time when I remembered that there is Boston Reefers right here near me.

So, I will start a build thread on where I am so far, in the hopes that maybe some of you can help prevent some of the many mistakes I am likely to make.

-JCL333

Welcome to the club
Ask away, everyone has gone through something similar at some point :)

Thank you.

I just finished posting my build thread.

Hopefully I can make some nearby connections. I would really appreciate checking out the setups other people have in person, and get some good real-world advice.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back