Greg hillers aqua delight

I heard he was in Fiji and dove down 50 feet on one breath to a glowing colony of aqua delight and fragged it with his teeth after fighting a shark.

I heard after that he nurtured the coral from a single polyp in his mouth by constantly drinking salt water and eating chalk to ensure it’s survival for the next two weeks to get it past customs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geez, you guys can make a movie out of this.

Wow, I really like the stories on this!! I almost feel like Putin! While I have collected a few corals myself that are still growing in my systems (and across the country since I've traded and sold them) this is not one of them. Steevareno above had it right. All the details have been up on my unchanged in years website www.greghiller.com in the SPS section. In short it says there:

Acropora sp.The 'Aquamarine jewel' Acropora. Originally obtained from local shop Aqua Addicts in NH. Sadly the main colony has been lost, only a few fragments remain.

Original colony, photo take under 20K metal halide: Close up of structure:

I'll also add that this was probably a wild collected colony. Generally I'm not a fan of purchasing wild collected Acropora (don't know if they are even sold anymore) as they usually die within a few days. This particular one was purchased for very low money because it was completely brown at the time. I would really, really, love to get a frag back (will check in with the people above mentioning they have it). My tank is doing extremely well at the moment (knock on wood), so I think it likely it might survive again.

But to be clear, the title of this thread was about the Aqua Delight, which this (above) is not. I also no longer have that one (and would like it back), but I don't think it's nearly as hard to come by. It is faster growing and I think somewhat hardier.

I have a small colony of the Aquamarine jewel. I got the frag from Greg Thevenin about two years ago. It's a slow grower and only now is beginning to look like something. I moved it around a few times because it never looked happy. My colony is much darker, which I would attribute to the LED lighting. It will be interesting to see if colors change after I get the new Ecotech diffusion plates for my Radions.

update- i recently changed my lighting from DE phoenix 14K to 250 SE Radium 20K. I also moved both Jewel mini colonies down(i was blasting them 10 inches from halides). im thinking that will help the base color and growth i will report back.

Sorry both were sold.
But my mini colonies is become frag-able now.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back