Hammer or Frogspawn

mvallee

Non-member
bought this as a hammer but when it fills out looks more like a frogspawn, can Hammers look like this. i love the colors and love Frogspawn so not disappointed just want a positive ID.

IMG_20190405_165750.jpg

Has multiple heads on each stem. Hammers usually don’t
thanks that's what I was thinking too dang it, love the colors though and I have a dark green Octospawn already so time to make a frogspawn Island, should be a nice contrast.

Ask the person you got it from if this hammer was grown near a frogspawn. When the euphyilla grow near each other they can take on a hybrid form. I’m thinking that’s what happened with yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask the person you got it from if this hammer was grown near a frogspawn. When the euphyilla grow near each other they can take on a hybrid form. I’m thinking that’s what happened with yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s pretty cool info

I have a huge colony that was sold to me as frogspawn. I believe it’s a frogspawn but when I have tried selling it people say it’s a hammer so maybe it’s a hybrid all I know is that I like it and have 60+ heads on my colony and it started off as a little two head frag
c91c58b870316c30cf87237b79546931.jpg
bd0b1a55c03eda709fdf1947019cf0a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammer and Frogspawn are both euphyllia coral. Both can be either branching or wall types. The only real difference between them is the shape of the polyps. Ranging from frogspawn which gets it name from looking like a group of frog eggs to hammer to anchor which has a curve to it like an anchor. Otherwise they all behave the same. So one man's frogspawn could be another man's hammer. I'd call that frogspawn. Hammer would have a more rectangular oblong shape to the polyps.

I have a huge colony that was sold to me as frogspawn. I believe it’s a frogspawn but when I have tried selling it people say it’s a hammer so maybe it’s a hybrid all I know is that I like it and have 60+ heads on my colony and it started off as a little two head frag

I can only hope I get so lucky, beautiful!

I can only hope I get so lucky, beautiful!

Thank you

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back