Hanna meter

I have nothing to compare mine to but I like the low the low numbers it shows me so I’m happy with it [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using mine for a couple of months and like it much better than my Nyos kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s the lowest reading before zero? If it’s 1 it kinda sucks for our application.

I have had both ultralow and low range phosphate meter
I prefer the low range phosphate meter its more reliable

Ultra low range phosphate meter never gives the same reading twice
Plus you have too convert it from PPB too PPM it’s a pain

Low range reads down too .01 all you need is too be around .05 plus or minus ppm

Keep the glass tube super clean...….. always …….that is the key to getting consitane readings

Use a soft cloth to hold it and clean it

I have had both ultralow and low range phosphate meter
I prefer the low range phosphate meter its more reliable

Ultra low range phosphate meter never gives the same reading twice
Plus you have too convert it from PPB too PPM it’s a pain

Low range reads down too .01 all you need is too be around .05 plus or minus ppm

The ULR is better if your tank goals are around 0.03-0.05 ppm or less. Anything higher, the LR meter is best.

If your water is higher in phosphates, the precision of measurements made with a ULR meter will less in comparison to the LR meter.
The LR meter has a wider range and will be more precise and accurate at higher phosphate levels.
The ULR meter has a higher accuracy at low levels but it has a smaller range that is most accurate and precise at low levels. [This is a common problem with beer laws methods]

The precision of these meters is a challenge due to testing conditions and best practice as you noted. I also clean my cuvettes rinsing with dilute HCl solution. Also, I wipe the cuvette with a cleaning solution using a Kimwipe. I try to align the blank and the sample measurement at the same place in the meter.

Here is a good video explaining the difference in the range and the accuracy of the ULR and LR meters.

BRStv Investigates: Hanna Phosphate Checker OR Phosphorous for Accuracy?

Personally, I prefer the ULR meter. Here is why.

I treat phosphates as a limit test. My phosphate goals are in the range of 0.03 - 0.10 ppm. If my tank is high in phosphate, above 0.10 ppm, I don't care so much if the reading is 0.10 or 0.15 ppm. I need to reduce phosphate.

If my tank is between 0.03 - 0.07 ppm, the ULR meter will provide a more accurate and precise reading in this range.

For those with higher phosphate limits in their tanks, the LR meter is a better option.

2008_parms GREAT BARIER REEF.jpg

From this chart it seems the average phosphate is .10 ppm on a average reef

going below that seems to be counterproductive

the reason we keep our phosphates low is because
if they are to high corals tend to absorb more phosphate then calcium

we want them to absorb more calcium then phosphate
but some phosphate is also needed for growth
going below .10
does not look like the norm on an average reef

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B