Has Anyone Seen This Thread @R2R on Brand New LED Fixture

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
So what would the difference be between these and ReefBreeders v2?

Same price point. Logan is local so at least customer support is available here.

They look interesting, and a good option for a smaller tank or a cube. But if you hit 4’ tank you are spending 700.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This looks like an interesting brand. Never heard of them but that’s not a huge red flag for me. Curious to see their color in person, how long they last and how good their customer support is.

If you’re looking for good Chinese lights on a budget, check out these guys too: http://www.ledzeal.com/productlist1-1.html.

I bought the 48” Malibu S300 LED light from them about 5 years ago and still use it. It ran me about $500 shipped and I was able to design the diode layout, spectrum and lens angles. They’re also very good with customer service, even though they’re on other side of the world. I like the light (and the price) that I got 5 of the Alpha 120 for another tank as well. Ask for Alex if you decide to reach out. He’s been pretty helpful.

They use Osram and Semi led chips, which also can be found in major brands in US.
Those look very promising, one again it proves the point that it does not need to spend arms and legs in order to have good reef lighting.
Every manufacturers except Kessil use off the shelf led chips, which is the heart of led lighting.

They have higher PAR results than the other 3 Big Named Brand lights listed and it would be like $500 for 2 lights with controller and mounting hardware vs $530 for a 32" Reef Breeders light while on sale or $579 regular. Some really good info and testing on lots of other BB as well: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-real-black-box-light-study.503052/

After looking into details, This study did provide useful information.
But please keep in mind that the said study was funded by the same said Chinese LED manufacturer and the guy who did the study registered on R2R the same time he started to post about this study. These do put some credibility issue about this study.

After looking into details, This study did provide useful information.
But please keep in mind that the said study was funded by the same said Chinese LED manufacturer and the guy who did the study registered on R2R the same time he started to post about this study. These do put some credibility issue about this study.

It does throw doubt on the noophsyche lights. I was surprised at how well other lights did, the amsl-02 looked good for the money. The really issue is how long will they last over a high salt high humidity environment. Being made in china, you cannot really get them returned or repaired.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-real-black-box-light-study.503052/

Yes. The lack of US customer service and repairs are always big challenges for new led manufactures oversea as well as for customers.

Another concerns I have is that the study focused on PAR which is not a valid point of measuring LED quality for reef lighting these days.

These day, most led fixtures on the market can produce more than enough PAR for the most light demanding coral, thank to the high efficiency of latest led technologies. Not from the reef led manufactures, but from led chip makers.

Reliability, color rendering, and customer service are more important factors to choose a led light IMO.

Back