Has anyone tried keeping an octopus?

JeanR

BRS Member
Am curious if anyone has given it a shot and has any suggestions for which species is best. Am thinking about in a species only tank.

I've read the usual escape artist/short lifespan stuff but it still seems like it would be pretty fun to keep one. Has anyone taken the plunge?

None personally. Rich Ross was the man on Cephalopods. I am not sure if he moderates any forums these days, but he's got all the answers. He won the MASNA aquarist of the year in 2014.

This might be useful as well:

I have kept many from Bimacs (Octopous bimaculoides) to Blue Rings. And several species of Cuttlefish too.
My favorite Cephlapod is the Mimic Octopus (Thaumoctopus mimicus) had one that would entice feedings by acting silly and dancing lol

If the proper planning is done, Octopous are very easy to keep. Downsides are short life span and very shy and reclusive creatures. So you wont see them much. Guests may ask you why you keep an empty tank running, lol

Tried 3 times....finally decided to stop killing them....probably my fault but I could never get them past the first days. I read, and got advice, shipped to store, shipped to home,,,none made it

I have kept many from Bimacs (Octopous bimaculoides) to Blue Rings. And several species of Cuttlefish too.
My favorite Cephlapod is the Mimic Octopus (Thaumoctopus mimicus) had one that would entice feedings by acting silly and dancing lol

If the proper planning is done, Octopous are very easy to keep. Downsides are short life span and very shy and reclusive creatures. So you wont see them much. Guests may ask you why you keep an empty tank running, lol
Nice! Thanks for sharing. How did you handle feedings? How often? What did they like to eat? How did you handle going away on vacation?

I had a Bimac a long time ago, got it size of a nickel, did awesome, seemed like it had a true personality. It would leave it's tank and then always go back. Had it quite a while, it got full size and layed eggs and then died like in the wild. It was pretty cool.

Yes, I had one for a while. Super cool critter, but short lifespan. Here's a video of him back in the day.

I believe the species I had was Octopus himmelincki. I would bring snails and crabs back from the beach and he would go apesheeat for them. He would eventually eat them frozen. Pretty easy to feed, but short lifespan is really the issue.

I had one many years ago. Escape artist. Had to mfg a custom lid with a spot for the hang on back filter to return but not allow escape. Also had to put bricks on the top of the cover as they are strong. Feed him live shrimp or minnows from the bait store (lived in FL at the time). Very cool to watch them hunt and eat. don't give too many hiding places or you will never see them. Would throw a jar in the tank with a shrimp inside and watch him open the jar and eat. Mine lasted over a year and I let him go in the ocean (Native FL species).

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back