Heating Controller or Multiple Heaters

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
Just dangling this out there. What setup do you run? Should I go with multiple heaters or run a single heater with a controller.

I have a 200 and 300 watt. 200 is set to 79 and 300 set to 77.

Neither is controlled other than by on their heater.

If I had an apex I would have the 300 controlled on that for better accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using this set at 78 with 3x heaters set at 80

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ANCB24W/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1548043011311.png

I have 2-500 watt heaters on my 120G one at 78 and the other set to go on at 77 if one fails programmed through my apex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't the idea behind using a temp controller is that heater thermostats are unreliable and can cook your tank if/when they fail. .multiple heaters without a controller wouldn't solve this problem . Controllers are used because they are more reliable than the temp controll ano a heaters and multiple heaters on a controller would protect you from a failure of an individual heater. As far as controllers go I have s cheap one that unfortunately resets to a default temp(higher than my desired tank temp) after a power outage.

I figure if my (cheap?) controller failed on then the heaters should turn off at 80. If it fails off, then I have a problem. I plan to run a fan on the cooling side if I need in come summer but may not with the basement sump. I "calibrated" it by using a cup of ice for 10 min with the cheap digital one and the controller is dead nuts accurate.

I think all the glass heaters are junk. Never used one since I got my first titanium heater. Too many things can go wrong with glass heaters, and the opposite is true with titanium.
If you’ve got an apex or similar, I’d go with one controller-less Finnex to be controlled by the apex, and another one with a built in / add on controller, in case your apex fails. I’d also keep one in the DT (not in overflow) and one or more in the sump, in case the return pump fails. The failsafe measures are easily overlooked until an incident happens that you learn from, unfortunately I learned by doing and not reading haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back