Heavy RODI maintenance

jdeb101

Non-member
Ahhh feels good to finally get to doing some deep RODI maintenance.

Removed every filter and sanitized the whole system.
Added new membrane, all new filters, and replaced all DI resin.
Fixed a couple of slow leaking fittings.
Affixed labels with today’s date to better keep track of filter replacement.

What micron carbon filters is everyone using? I have sediment, 1 micron, then .6.

Also, do you flush your new carbon block? I read you should do so and not let it run through the membrane. I suppose I’m ok doing this by just keeping the membrane flush valve open?

Hi
I replaced only once the filters in 5 years. Each time you need to flush them. I flushed 4-5 gallons when I got the RODI and when I replaced the filters. The flushing, in my case, goes through the membrane, and NOT to the DI.

It is a MALEV's reef RODI system. From the membrane goes to the DI. I placed a T to avoid the DI and deviate the water. On every water change I collect water for my coffee machine (2 Gallons). In that way I flush the membrane before allowing the water enter in the DI resin.

That is how I flush the "filters cartiges when they are new and the membrane on every water change".

Cheers
Ps: no idea what carbon filter I am using. I just buy the full set of filters at Malev's. Only 1 set in 5 years and I believe it was ~$60. Easy...easy...easy.. .. LOL

Last edited:
Hi
I replaced only once the filters in 5 years. Each time you need to flush them. I flushed 4-5 gallons when I got the RODI and when I replaced the filters. The flushing, in my case, goes through the membrane, and NOT to the DI.

It is a MALEV's reef RODI system. From the membrane goes to the DI. I placed a T to avoid the DI and deviate the water. On every water change I collect water for my coffee machine (2 Gallons). In that way I flush the membrane before allowing the water enter in the DI resin.

That is how I flush the "filters cartiges when they are new and the membrane on every water change".

Cheers
Ps: no idea what carbon filter I am using. I just buy the full set of filters at Malev's. Only 1 set in 5 years and I believe it was ~$60. Easy...easy...easy.. .. LOL

when you say once in 5 years, I assume you are only referring to the membrane? I read other filters should be replaced every X gallons or 6 months, whichever comes first

My BRS one came with two 1 micron carbon blocks

Yes, but they also sell Matrix brand filter kits that have two different micron rated filters.

Nope... in 5 years I NEVER replaced the membrane and I only changed a full set of filters as I said.

I change the DI resin when the output hits 3 ppm. At 35 G of RODI water every other week I have to change the DI resin more or less twice a year....very cheap (~$6 each time, the one that change color).

Ps: this is my tank. Isn't the most pretty but is a full eco system ... LOL

Check the video quality when you open it. Normally you have to increase the quality

Cheers

Last edited:
Nope... in 5 years I NEVER replaced the membrane and I only changed a full set of filters as I said.

I change the DI resin when the output hits 3 ppm. At 35 G of RODI water every other week I have to change the DI resin more or less twice a year....very cheap (~$6 each time, the one that change color).

Ps: this is my tank. Isn't the most pretty but is a full eco system ... LOL

Check the video quality when you open it. Normally you have to increase the quality

Cheers

Wow, you literally have coral growing out of the water! Lol I wonder what the argument is for those sites that say change it every 6 months.

Before this post, I also had same filters on for over a year, but been seeing my tds creep up to 3 or 4 so figured it’s time. I only have a ~40gallon system and prob make up 5 gallons top off / week and do a 5 gallon wc every two.

I have a 75gpd system from BRS with the 150gpd upgrade and added a second DI cartridge. I use the matrix replacement kits from BRS- Purtrex 5 Micron Sediment Filter, MATRIKX CTO 5 Micron Carbon Block, MATRIKX CTO 1 Micron Carbon Block. These egt chanded every 2-3 years depending on the TDS. I also have a 5 micron sediment on my main supply line for the house. This gets changed every 6 months. As far as the replacement filters go I rinse these in a bucket of ro water first and the flush the system for 5minutes after install.

Hope this helps.

I would say that your filter replacement would vary based on amount of water that goes thru it and the condition of the source water

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back