Help my green star

BeanniesDaDa

Non-member
I got home from work today to find my green star looking bad. Yeasterday it was open and doing fin today all closed up and some weird brown shades. Whats going on with this? Below are the pictures, thanks for the help.

EDIT: note the small green star in the backround doing fine... Its a peice that broke off the main branch

Attachments

• greenstaryesterday.jpg
    greenstaryesterday.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 456
  • greenstartoday.jpg
    greenstartoday.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
It's not unusual for them to close up at times, keep an eye on them but my guess is they are OK.

Does it always have the green/brown spots when it closes up? Otherwise, it looks fine to me. Mine close up when the lights go off, even just for a minute or two.

Thanks maybe its me just being a newbie I will keep a close eye on it. I think it had those spots not sure. Is that normal?

Last edited:
My GSPs used to get cyano growing on them from time to time.
I bought myself a couple of new turkey basters at the discount store, and used them for my reef. One was for target feeding, and the other was just as a water jet inside the tank to stir things up. I used to blast the cyano off the GSPs when I noticed it.

How's your water quality (temp, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate)?

The brownish stuff on the green star in this picture comes off... Any idea what it could be. Someone on another forum said if might not have enough flow so when i went to move it I noticed that that brownish stuff comes off. I dont want to lose this anyone have any ideas.

attachment.php

looks like cyano, do what Moe suggested and use a turkey baster to blow it off

Moe, So you think the cyano is why the GSPs are not coming out or is it some thing else? Thanks for all the help...

I'm not sure why they're retracted.
Yours are a differrent species than I had, I think. When my GSPs retracted I had a dark purple mat over the rocks.
My GSPs went into prolonged retraction whenever I bothered them too much or whenever there was a big change in water parameters.

My Green Star Polyps have not been the same the past few weeks, closed most of the time, no changes to tank. Maybe just a thing they go through.

Even under the best of conditions, I have noticed that GSPs will stay closed. I just got rid of the last of mine (Thanks Greg:)!).

How long have the been closed?

Are any other corals acting abnormally, or do they all appear helthy?

When was your last water change?

Are those PC lights?

Matt:cool:

The word from home is that it is out today, Every thing else in my tank seems healthy. My last water change was saturday about 3.5 gallons.

I take that back the smaller one I have is out the larger on is not and my GF says it looks like it has coffee all over it?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back