Help please !!!

FixIt

Soaking in the salt info
My blue maxima that has been in my tank and is about 3.5 inches big has a problem and I am afraid I am going to lose it.

I bought it a coral skeleton to sit on and it was doing fmgreat. Yesterday I found it knocked over. I decided I should check on it last night and found it was unattached from the place it was. I stood it back upright and it was opening up again but its mantle wasn't coming out. Today when I got home from work I noticed what looked like its threads that hold it in place had unattached from it and laying on the bottom of the tank. Now it looks like the clam is receding even farther into its shell.

Is it dieing? Any help would be great. I love this thing and hate to see it die.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It could’ve let go it’s theeads and grow new ones but if they tore it probably won’t make it. Do you have a picture

No need for a picture now. Woke this morning and went to check it out and it is gone. It was doing so good. I do not know what could have happened.

I have 2 clowns some blue legged hermits a blue devil damsel an emerald crab and an nem. Every other piece of coral and fish looks great.

It is a sad day.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Clams take a while to die. It could’ve been on it’s way out before you even got it. It’ll go from beautiful to dead in a day or 2. The best indicator of a clams health is the growth on the shell. If it has none don’t buy it.

Sorry about your clam. Even though it's dead, it would be good to find out why it died, so that the next one does not meet the same fate. Three things come to mind:

1) Check the upper edge of the shell for new white/translucent growth. If that's missing it probably died of starvation (insufficient light).
2) Check for pyramidellid snails. Tiny (smaller than a grain of rice) snails, with very pointy shells (like cerith but tiny and evil). They feed on clams.
3) Check for small holes on the clam's shell. There are some worms that kill clams by puncturing their shells and eating them from the inside out.

Also, highly recommend to get a copy of James Fatherree's book, Giant clams in the sea and the aquarium.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back