help please

Corwyn

I am in Raynham
HI so tank has been up for about 8 months.
using RODI
ph 8.4
nitr 0 nitrate 0 phos 0 (?) brand new tester DEFINITELY bellow.25
SG is 1.27 calc is 350

Been battling some cyono
about 3 days ago all my softies
toadstool, star and clove polyps as well as my alveopora all closed up and have not opened since.
the alveo looks like it died at least partially.

What is weird is hammer, frog spawn and octo are as well as blasto are fine.

Could cyono kill or hurt them sofites?
I've done a 2 sets of water changes about 30% total. no affect.

Will running carbon help? anti biotics?

Of course this is happening at the worst time since I will be leaving out of town for the week Sunday.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a similar experience to Jah-hoeva. Not sure about your current feeding schedule, but you might try fattening up your fish with multiple daily feedings, and see if the corals respond in kind as the nutrients start to increase.

so when you say nutrients - what kind of nutrients are you talking about?
I have a icecap 3K gyre in a redsea 170. If I turn up the flow any more than where I have it now it is blowing over my 3 branch hammer that is attached to a fist-sized rock. Also, the place I seem to get the most cyano IS where the highest flow is on the bottom of the tank.

I know calc is low I am raising it slowly with red sea. I am picking up an alk tester today.

I have

1 bangaii cardinal
1 fire fish
1 orchid dottiback
1 citris goby

I feed frozen cube of food switch between misys blood worms and herb a day. usually split it into 2 feedings. depending on my schedule

nutrients are nitrates and phosphates; if you have zero and you don't have algae growth problem, then you may be starving your soft corals; if you feed more, nutrients will go up and corals may be happier; of course, you can overdo it and get algae growth

so are you basically saying that my water is TOO clean for those guys> Wow I've never been accused of being too good at something : )

oh another question should I turn lights off, or jsut reduce time. Right now I am running hydra 26 with mike sanders reef blues

8 months is IMO still a new tank. I think tanks need a good year or two before they are "broken in". During this time, it's normal to go through cyano, diatom, and algae blooms. IMO cyano is best dealt with by manual removal but others have has luck with chemicals. but be careful with those, as any sudden swing of anything in a tank may have an affect on any coral.

yes you can have a tank that is too clean. I have a tank with hammers, blastos, trumpets, and hairy mushroom along with a BTA. My tank is very dirty as compared to tanks with very sensitive SPS and harder to keep LPS. They corals love the tank this way, and they show it by growing and multiplying.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back