HELP PLEASE!!!!

MGolder

Non-member
So, I came home from my thanksgiving shenanigans and 4 of my 6 fish and my cleaner shrimp had dropped over dead while I was out and me!!!!! What am I thankful for this thanksgiving? my two remaining fish and all of my coral :) :(.

I have a 20 gallon Innovative Marine all-in-one. I run carbon, filter floss, and cheato in the rear chamber... I know the chaeto doesnt do much. I do a 5 gallon water change ever other week. Typically my nitrates are somewhere between 1 and 5 PPM and I occasionally get ammonia spikes after feeding. I have had two ruby red dragonettes, two juvenile clows, a antenatal goby, two pistol shrimp and a cleaner shrimp in the tank for about 8 months with no issues. I added a small cherub angel two days ago. when I got home today the cherub angel was again the return grate, the cleaner shrimp and one of the ruby red dragonettes were being pulled into the live rock by bristle worms and the male clown and female ruby red dragonette were not where to be found. The survivors were the female clown the antenatal goby and at least one of the pistol shrimp. None of my snails or crabs died. I tested the water and the nitrates are at 2PPM, the Phosphate is not detectable, ammonia is less than 0.02 PPM, and salinity is 1.025. The clown and goby were breathing regularly and all of the coral is open and looks very happy. I have two anemone's, one of which I suck in an acclamation box two days ago to get it out of the tank because two medium anemone's are too many for a 20 gallon tank. The acclamation bow is small and likely not large enough to provide the anemone with a comfortable environment.

I have no idea what could kill the fish in 8 hours like that and leave the remaining too seemingly fine.

So sorry to hear. Any signs of illness on the fish, do any kind of water change today add anything to the tank, makeup water, new food

Agreed. Sounds either disease related or possibly electrical. Sometimes disease issues may not be obvious like flashing or heavy breathing. Disease for the fish would not really explain the shrimp dropping though

Nope. Recently we were noting that the fish were looking very healthy and we were very happy with how the new fish was eating vigorously. I am very confused by what would kill fish so quickly. I previously tested the water two days ago.

I thought about electrical. I m not sure how to test for that. I checked the heater since that is the primary suspect in those situations

I added the pigmy angel two days ago and placed the anemone in a very small aclimation box. those were the only recent changes. Would a stressed nem kill fish?

i will look for my multi meter now. if it was voltage leakeage enough to kill a fish shouldnt the coral be affected?

Not necessarily. IME we have seen that some organisms can be effected far more than others by the stray voltage or toxic byproducts from the voltage. My guess is that if there was toxicity released that you would have had more of an issue with the coral if that were the case

makes sense. I cannot find my voltage meter so I will have to get another tomorrow. in the mean time before I unplug everything and put an air stone in. would the currant kill things line copepods, snails, the pistol shrimp and whathave you? I guess what I am trying to ask is - is there anything else in the tank that would be an indicator of stray voltage? which the comment about "some organisms can be affected far more than others" may be addressing. also, thank you for the help!!!!

How old is the heater? A Youtuber had the same problem overnight and it turned out to be a bad heater. Fragbox TV I think it was. A Canadian LFS. Can you remove and carefully inspect it for any visual damage or frayed wire? Sorry for your loss!

makes sense. I cannot find my voltage meter so I will have to get another tomorrow. in the mean time before I unplug everything and put an air stone in. would the currant kill things line copepods, snails, the pistol shrimp and whathave you? I guess what I am trying to ask is - is there anything else in the tank that would be an indicator of stray voltage? which the comment about "some organisms can be affected far more than others" may be addressing. also, thank you for the help!!!!
Can't say for certain and I know that it is a rather vague statement, but that is the best I have from my personal experience and anecdotal from customers over the years. From personal experience I feel like it has been more commonly larger fish, but not always and not limited to that. Make sure that if you unplug the heater that you keep the room warm enough to maintain a reasonable temperature in the tank

I would stick to 2-3 small fish and count your inverts as bioload too. That is a commonly overlooked factor in this hobby.

What a crummy way to end Thanksgiving!
6 fish in a 20 gallon though…
Yup. I tend to agree here. Heavily stocked, not to mention that the angel alone should not be in a tank that small. I've been hesitating on putting one in my 60 just due to space constraints.

That being said, my heart goes out to you. I'd pick up a grounding probe if you're still concerned about stray voltage. They're super cheap.

You also should not be getting much of a measurable ammonia spike in that tank as you had mentioned in your earlier post. Do you feed super heavy?

I added the pigmy angel two days ago and placed the anemone in a very small aclimation box. those were the only recent changes. Would a stressed nem kill fish?
maybe you brought in velvet with the pigmy angel? velvet kills quickly and seems to be more commonly seen in the last few years.

Back