HELP PLEASE!!!!

Just had a ehiem heater do this on me. Weird thing is the heater was still somewhat working and slowly killing my corals and making my fish very agitated. The glass completely shattered when I pulled it out of the tank but you could tell the heater coil was corroding away. Switched to a titanium heater. Good luck!
9444C7C4-1660-4183-A52F-AEEA644D79BC.jpeg

Do you
Lack of 02?
I'm leaning towards Frank's hypothesis. It see.s to line up with the event. Quick mass die off, no sign of illness, affected fish an invert,, happened soon after adding to bioload. Do you run a skimmer ot air pump? The bubbles would help create more surface area for gas exchange.

Sorry for taking so long to respond to everyone!! I had to leave on a hunting trip Friday right into a work tip. Nothing has died since the original incident and everyone appears to be happy (fish and coral) other than my female clown who will no longer leave the anemone, other than feeding time and seems confused/depressed. the heater is less than six months old (I got three new ones during the marine depot close out sale), but I checked it and replaced it. it looked fine. Carbon was replaced two week before the incident. I did change it the morning before I left. Disease sounds plausible Do you know how to identify it so that I can know how to proceed? I spoke to the person at the fish store and the angel had been in the store for over a month and was eating regularly. Not that, that is a sure sign of health but its a good sign, right? I guess now i know why people religiously set up quarantine tanks. I did not treat the fish chemically at all..... as far as the people in the bio load camp I would love an explanation for the fish death. I dont think the fish are aware of the 1" per 10 gallon rule. All of the fish are juvenile and just to recap there where two dragonets one antenatal goby and two clowns that have been in the tank together for 8 months. So, that's two fish that occupy the sand bed, one fish that lives in a hole and two fish that are free swimming. other than the high bio load which has still been within the acceptable nitrate/ammonia levels for months now I do not see how one additionally juvenile fish could sway parameters enough to kill 4 healthy fish in 8 hours when they have not been fed. The angel is a pigmy angel which has a maximum size of three inches. The O2 theory is also interesting. I have noticed that after heavy feedings later in the night (when photosynthesis has more or less stopped I will get ammonia spikes and likely O2 spikes). However, I did not feed thanksgiving morning and did not cook at the house that day. would one additional fish account for the O2 consumption?

Thank you everyone!!

Also, we are in the middle of a tank build which is the only reason we took on the extra fish :)

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back