Help with water test in/near Franklin

Chlorinated

Non-member
Hi All,

Just ordered a new Hanna test kit for my alk tester and it's WAY off from my current lot.

Current lot 7.1dkh
New lot 16.1dkh!!!

Multiple tests back to back. Now have no idea what is right. Corals all look solid so no indication there.

Looking for someone local to Franklin for a quick alk test just to clear it up for me. If anyone could help it would be super appreciated!

Thanks!

I would trust your new reagent. It has been a common problem that some of the Hanna Alk reagents start to give inaccurate low results. Many have started to refrigerate the reagent after opening to keep t giving accurate results.

That's interesting I have nit heard that. My old one expires in October this year. The new in October 2023. I figured it still had some life in it.

16 seems high though and i imagine I would see some effect.

Just wanted to chime in here as I'd double test/use two test kits to be sure as I thought Hanna checkers were one of or the best testing methods but I was sorely mistaken.....

At the time I was fairly new into hobby - just a little over a year in. Ordered a Hanna alk reagent opened and used, kept in cool dry place for about two maybe three months (ordered form a very reputable company) and when tested alk several times it showed 7.1 (low, I like to stay 8.5 - 8.7) so I dosed my tank over the course of a week to only watch my corals melt before my eyes in a weeks time, lost over $500 worth of corals. Come to find out my alk was actually 16.1 not 7.1!

Long story short best to double check. I know it made me lose all my trust in Hanna checkers even with the calibrating kits they sell I still am leery, maybe just paranoid but rightfully so.

This was Hanna's response to my email to them....

Jenny,

The reagent should last for a long time there is an expiration date on the bottle.

Give me your shipping address and I can send you a new bottle of HI772-26.

Here are some tips the aquariums manager wrote up which may be helpful.

• Always rinse your cuvettes with RODI water after each test and with saltwater sample before a new test is preformed to prevent unintended dilution of sample.

• The alkalinity reagent is very pH sensitive and any saltwater or outside contaminants can alter the pH of the reagent causing inaccurate results. Make sure no saltwater or other contaminants enter your reagent bottle and if questionable results are obtained open a fresh reagent and preform multiple tests to confirm results.

• Always use the new syringe and tip provided with each new reagent. Do not use the old syringes/tips for new reagent bottles.

• Using a syringe with dried or crusty reagent on its tip is not ideal and syringes should be cleaned with RODI water periodically to prevent corrosion.

Respectfully,

Kevin C. Costa

Aquarium & Aquaculture Manager

Best Regards,

Pete Smith

Tech Service Representative

800-426-6287 ext. 134

We're here for you.
Just a friendly reminder that we're open.
Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM EST

[email protected]

www.hannainst.com

There was a person on r2r who claimed that these work more consistently when stored in the fridge. I've not tested it.

I bought 3 new kits. But both are the same lot.. 0132. Both tested right after each inherent with the same result if 16-16.1. Tried the old reagent and it's 7.1. No idea what is right. Corals looks great and open so luckily no issues.

Just want a handle on what my value actually is. Even with salifert or something. Seems like no local stores will test which is unfortunate so was hoping someone here is local and willing to test for me.

I live closeish to @All Things Aquatic but won't be able to get there until Saturday. Just keeping doing the same until I get a tie breaker

I'm in Blackstone, I could swing by tomorrow before noon if that works for you or free most of day Friday.

Just wanted to chime in here as I'd double test/use two test kits to be sure as I thought Hanna checkers were one of or the best testing methods but I was sorely mistaken.....

At the time I was fairly new into hobby - just a little over a year in. Ordered a Hanna alk reagent opened and used, kept in cool dry place for about two maybe three months (ordered form a very reputable company) and when tested alk several times it showed 7.1 (low, I like to stay 8.5 - 8.7) so I dosed my tank over the course of a week to only watch my corals melt before my eyes in a weeks time, lost over $500 worth of corals. Come to find out my alk was actually 16.1 not 7.1!

Long story short best to double check. I know it made me lose all my trust in Hanna checkers even with the calibrating kits they sell I still am leery, maybe just paranoid but rightfully so.
Probally a good reminder that stability is more important than target number chasing

Back