High School Classroom Nano Tank Build 2.0

Zach0918

Non-member
So I have been putting this off for way too long...

The short story/TL/DR:

We are rebuilding the classroom reef tank (see thread High School Classroom Nano Reef)! But we need your help stocking it. Would anyone be interested in donating any frags, fish, or inverts to our project. My marine ecology students and I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Here’s a quick summary of what we’ve done so far from some of my studnet

“For the past few months my marine ecology class have worked on building and sustaining a reef tank. Before we started to put the tank together we researched and shared out a few of the many pieces required to maintain a healthy reef tank. We learned everything from how to make healthy salt water to the water filtration and waste removal.” - Garrison

“I for example researched the filtration system and how it worked. I then presented to class how it works so I was the teacher in that instance.” - Noah

“As of today our tank has a clownfish, shrimp, conch and a coral named Louis.” - Elena

“To care for these creatures, we clean the tank and do regular tests searching for pH level, salinity, and ammonia. We are hoping to create a more diverse ecosystem and therefore are trying to obtain coral frags. Any contributions will be beneficial to our education.” - Brooklyn

The full story:

(I know this is long but I felt I owed people who contributed to the first build an expiation.)

Last year while working at Coventry High School I stumbled into the world of reefing while seeking advice for a freshwater tank we were trying to set up. My students and I were fascinated by the complexity and beauty of the coral ecosystem and through the generosity of this community and others we were able to set up our own classroom nano tank (see thread High School Classroom Nano Reef). The tank ran great throughout the year and it was an amazing experience for the students. The hands on experience they got was something I wish every high schooler could experience.

Unfortunately, I needed to change schools following the 2018-2019 school year. (Don't worry I wasn't fired for having a mini zoo in my classroom). As luck would have it I was fortune enough to be appointed to teaching position at Westerly High School, a town on the southern coast of Rhode Island. The best part is I not only teach biology but also Marine Ecology 1 and 2 which makes finding time for the tank A LOT easier. I knew as soon as I learned I was teaching Marine I needed to bring the tank back.

This is where the story becomes a bit unfortunate... So, along with moving schools I also moved apartments. I simply didn't have the space for 2 tanks in my apartment so I was forced to find another place to house the tank over the summer. My only real option was my parent's home 45 minutes from here. While less than ideal, it had to do in a crunch. My parents are not fish keepers, much less reefers.,, I brought them RO/DI water and tried to help with maintain as much as possible but as you can imagine it was a bit of a nightmare. Between job searching, moving and acclimating to a new school the tank was neglected and most of the frags were lost.

While unfortunate and disappointing, I still really wanted to continue the project at my new school. I tasked my classes create "reefing" guides and after a few weeks I packed up, the tank, live rock and clownfish from my parents. As a class we set the we set up the tank, each student educating their classmates on their component they were tasked with being the expert on. We battled some issues with algae at first but eventually the tank was stable enough for our first coral which was a Tyree Toadstool frag from my personal tank.

Things were looking bright until a few weeks ago we discovered aptasia after it gave the toadstool a nice sting and in the same week one of our clowns jumped and died (it was a rough week). Thankfully, things have taken a turn for the better and I am feeling a lot optimistic now. We added a peppermint shrimp who WENT TO TOWN on the aptasia (I was blown away on how effective this little guy was). The toadstool has healed and is growing. Water parameters are stable. The only problem we now have is stocking the tank. Right now it looks pretty sad with just a rock flower gem, the little toadstool and 1 clown. I really was this to be a piece that inspires students to explored the reefing hobby and even persue careers in the marine sciences.

If there is anyone that has any frags, fish, or inverts they would be willing to donate to our project or knows of anyone they think would consider doing so please reach out to me. I can't express how much I appreciate the support many have already shown.

Last edited:
Heres a few pics we got along the way

Attachments

• IMG_2234.JPG
    IMG_2234.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_2237.JPG
    IMG_2237.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_2238.JPG
    IMG_2238.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_2239.JPG
    IMG_2239.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_4823.JPG
    IMG_4823.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 429
  • C1EBF7D9-3D3C-42F4-916C-4BB171817813.jpeg
    C1EBF7D9-3D3C-42F4-916C-4BB171817813.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 448
Zack if you need some coral I can donate some to you. I have monti, purple style, digi that I can donate. Since these are easy to keep.

Zach, My wife teaches Marine Biology in Fall River, MA.

We have a 90 gallon reef that is a green/pink tip BTA FACTORY.

I have many to donate, as well as Palys, Yellow Polyps and Devil’s Hand and Tree Leather. I have a larger tree leather to offer if you want it.

We can set up a meeting to help out. Send me a PM with your contacts. Access to her school is bad outside school hours but she can plan for it if you want to come up. Give me a range of days and times you are a available and we will make it work.

Hey Paulo!!! Thanks for the rock! It greatly improved the classroom system. He is a great guy, BTW. He is from the town I grew up in... Winthrop, MA!!! You should pay him a visit. Great guy!

This is a recent shot of parts of her tank. We were fortunate to get some fish donated by a club member that is moving. We provide letters acknowledging the donation and value of items donated for people that wish to use them as a tax deduction. That might help some people donate, if your administrators don’t mind producing those letters on official letterhead and signing them or letting you do it yourself.

Zach, My wife teaches Marine Biology in Fall River, MA.

We have a 90 gallon reef that is a green/pink tip BTA FACTORY.

I have many to donate, as well as Palys, Yellow Polyps and Devil’s Hand and Tree Leather. I have a larger tree leather to offer if you want it.

We can set up a meeting to help out. Send me a PM with your contacts. Access to her school is bad outside school hours but she can plan for it if you want to come up. Give me a range of days and times you are a available and we will make it work.

Hey Paulo!!! Thanks for the rock! It greatly improved the classroom system. He is a great guy, BTW. He is from the town I grew up in... Winthrop, MA!!! You should pay him a visit. Great guy!
Hey man. Glad it worked out. My pleasure

This is a recent shot of parts of her tank. We were fortunate to get some fish donated by a club member that is moving. We provide letters acknowledging the donation and value of items donated for people that wish to use them as a tax deduction. That might help some people donate, if your administrators don’t mind producing those letters on official letterhead and signing them or letting you do it yourself.

Thanks so much for reaching out, I actually got a letter last year when the tank was donated but I never thought to do it for livestock, great idea. I am definitely willing to ask if anyone wants one. Fall River is about an hour from us so that maybe doable but Winthrop is almost 2 so that would be tough, though I greatly appreciate the offer Paulo. I am sure BTA would be a big hit!

Thanks so much for reaching out, I actually got a letter last year when the tank was donated but I never thought to do it for livestock, great idea. I am definitely willing to ask if anyone wants one. Fall River is about an hour from us so that maybe doable but Winthrop is almost 2 so that would be tough, though I greatly appreciate the offer Paulo. I am sure BTA would be a big hit!
I travel almost everyday to my office in Falmouth which is close to you

The full story:

(I know this is long but I felt I owed people who contributed to the first build an expiation.)

Last year while working at Coventry High School I stumbled into the world of reefing while seeking advice for a freshwater tank we were trying to set up. My students and I were fascinated by the complexity and beauty of the coral ecosystem and through the generosity of this community and others we were able to set up our own classroom nano tank (see thread High School Classroom Nano Reef). The tank ran great throughout the year and it was an amazing experience for the students. The hands on experience they got was something I wish every high schooler could experience.

Unfortunately, I needed to change schools following the 2018-2019 school year. (Don't worry I wasn't fired for having a mini zoo in my classroom). As luck would have it I was fortune enough to be appointed to teaching position at Westerly High School, a town on the southern coast of Rhode Island. The best part is I not only teach biology but also Marine Ecology 1 and 2 which makes finding time for the tank A LOT easier. I knew as soon as I learned I was teaching Marine I needed to bring the tank back.

This is where the story becomes a bit unfortunate... So, along with moving schools I also moved apartments. I simply didn't have the space for 2 tanks in my apartment so I was forced to find another place to house the tank over the summer. My only real option was my parent's home 45 minutes from here. While less than ideal, it had to do in a crunch. My parents are not fish keepers, much less reefers.,, I brought them RO/DI water and tried to help with maintain as much as possible but as you can imagine it was a bit of a nightmare. Between job searching, moving and acclimating to a new school the tank was neglected and most of the frags were lost.

While unfortunate and disappointing, I still really wanted to continue the project at my new school. I tasked my classes create "reefing" guides and after a few weeks I packed up, the tank, live rock and clownfish from my parents. As a class we set the we set up the tank, each student educating their classmates on their component they were tasked with being the expert on. We battled some issues with algae at first but eventually the tank was stable enough for our first coral which was a Tyree Toadstool frag from my personal tank.

Things were looking bright until a few weeks ago we discovered aptasia after it gave the toadstool a nice sting and in the same week one of our clowns jumped and died (it was a rough week). Thankfully, things have taken a turn for the better and I am feeling a lot optimistic now. We added a peppermint shrimp who WENT TO TOWN on the aptasia (I was blown away on how effective this little guy was). The toadstool has healed and is growing. Water parameters are stable. The only problem we now have is stocking the tank. Right now it looks pretty sad with just a rock flower gem, the little toadstool and 1 clown. I really was this to be a piece that inspires students to explored the reefing hobby and even persue careers in the marine sciences.

If there is anyone that has any frags, fish, or inverts they would be willing to donate to our project or knows of anyone they think would consider doing so please reach out to me. I can't express how much I appreciate the support many have already shown.
Does anyone know what this little guy is?

Attachments

• IMG_20200106_095018867_MP.jpg
    IMG_20200106_095018867_MP.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_20200106_095004658.jpg
    IMG_20200106_095004658.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 388
Hello, my marine ecology class just received these corals and we'd like to know if anyone can help identify these corals. I have numbered them underneath each photo, you can refer to them by that.
coral 6.jpg
coral 5.jpg
coral 4.jpg
coral 3.jpg
coral 2.jpg
coral 1.jpg

Huge shout out to Michael over at Credabel Corals in New London, CT for his generous donation! Today was an awesome start to stocking the tank! Students also conducted some water water tests. The results were as follows:

pH: 8.3
dKH: 11.2
Phosphates: 1 ppm
Nitrate: <2 ppm
Ca and Mg were off the charts (not sure if this was testing error or the lack of coral in the tank previously? Will follow up with future testing.)

As always if anyone would like to contribute to the project please don't hesitate to PM me. Thank you!

Back