HLLE on Tang

Sparent25

BRS Member
Hi. Anyone have recommendations for HLLE? I inherited a 66gal tank From someone who could no longer take care of it and it came with a yellow and blue Hippo Tang. I did not know what HLLE was but now I can see this blue tang has it pretty bad. Since the move I believe the color is coming back Around his face and that may be due to better nutrition and water quality. Will this go away eventually, the fish seems healthier than 1 month ago? Or should I QT and treat? He’s probably 6yrs old

I have a two year old purple tang that got HLLE really bad in quarantine (did not take copper well). I got him back to health by feeding lots of Nori with Selcon on it and a good pellet food to supplement. He has some pretty good scarring along his sides from it, but has continued to grow and be very active.

I have a two year old purple tang that got HLLE really bad in quarantine (did not take copper well). I got him back to health by feeding lots of Nori with Selcon on it and a good pellet food to supplement. He has some pretty good scarring along his sides from it, but has continued to grow and be very active.
I’ll check into selcon! Thanks!

Stress and Nutrition are typically the main culprit. +1 on the secon and nori
Is the hippo still in the 66g tank? That is too small of a tank if that is the case.

I would not QT a 6 year old fish, unless it was getting beat by another in the tank I could not catch and it was surely going to die before I caught the culprit. ++ on using selcon soaked nori and mysis. PBT are planktivores in the wild but eat anything you feed once acclimated usually. The erosion areas can color up again and be less noticeable with low stress and good care. Big tank with structures to swim around and hide in are a big plus with this species.

I have been giving him nori since he arrived and that’s how I noticed him improving but I’ll certainly add the selcon too

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back