Hmmmmm???

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
Happened to look at the tank nice and early when the lights came on as I didn't go to work today and saw this little guy on the front panel. At a quick glance I thought it was a flatworm but once I got it out it looks like a nudibranch or a sea slug. I have been doing NSW changes the past few months and I check for big stuff before using it for the changes...
20200909_094400.jpg
20200909_094404.jpg
20200909_094454.jpg
20200909_094511.jpg

1600108355389.png

I think it might be Elysia hedgpethi. It is a small slug that eats green algae, specifically I think it is common on Codium fragile (the mop like green spongy algae we get around our local waters.
SaltwaterB is right, when in doubt, but unless you care about algae in your tank, you might have a friend there, maybe.

Did you by chance get any Codium for a fuge? People do use it and grow it. Places like Algae Barn and other online suppliers sell it as such and as an ornamental algae too. I have seen algae packs advertised as containing Codium.

I didn't specifically get any algae from the NSW I collected but I could def try and get some probably pretty easy. And it does look like that picture thanks @gobyvin

Cool, I am happy something I learned years ago helped somebody!!! I saw these on the Codium out in the San Juan Islands North Puget Sound, while SCUBA diving at school, over 20 years ago. They left an impression on me I guess, but I love Nudibranchs!

Found another one tonight that fell off the algae scrapper in the tank. Much bigger than the first one and I'm going to guess it's not a bad guy since everything looks so well but he's still been evicted!!!

20201130_200650.jpg
20201130_200723.jpg
20201130_200655.jpg

Cool,
Looks like they laid eggs or maybe you had two and this was the other in the pair. Usually, nudi's are in pairs in wild, because once you find the mate, you better stay close... or that may be your only chance to do the deed! Life in slow motion!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back