Home Depot Razors

jazzsam

BRS Member
So I just watched a video on YouTube where a guy used the standard razors you get from Home Depot to clean the glass on his reef tank. I always assumed the metal and oils on that would be very bad in the tank so I never would dare do it. Am I right to assume this or am I crazy? Now keep in mind the video was a guy that hasn't touched his tank in a year so he may not be doing all the right things........... Thoughts?

I use a window scraper with whatever razor blade comes with it, and I've never noticed a problem. If you're concerned, you can soak it in vinegar for a little while before using it.

One slip, and scratch. They are effective til that moment happens. I never have anything a old charlie card collection, and magic eraser can't deal with anyways.

Great to know! I am sure these are much easier than the scarper we get from the fish store.

For glass tank, none of the aquarium scrappers work as good as a single edge razor. Despite they all claim to protect the glass, actually it is more of a concern of injure to aquarists. That is why none of the aquarium scrapper has sharp edge that can cut through skin.

I've been using a paint scrapper for many years on my 450 gallon system. These will not scratch glass. If you are worried about the oil on the blade you can easily clean it off with a bit of soap before initial use.

One tip I learned. The blades can run into a bit of money if you are using a new one every time. I learned that I could use the same blade for 4-7 uses by simply applying a very thin layer of cooking oil (doesn't matter which one, olive oil works well if you are on the Mediterranean diet!) and then putting in a Ziploc bag to keep oil away. It takes only a minute to wash the oil off before re-use.

I just tried this for the first time the other day and loved it! My god its sooooo much easier!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back