How do I stop Euroreef skimmer waterfall noise?

Armando

v 4.0
I don't use the foam in my Euroreef's water return to avoid nitrate building. But the noise of the water falling into the sump drives me crazy! Any suggestions on how do I stop it? TIA

I bought two foam pieces. I switch them every other week and clean the one out of the tank.

Just thinking out loud here, but how about: a piece of acrylic like ~5"X12" a 1.25" hole driled close to one end so you could slide it over the stand pipe and leave it at an angle. That would let the water flow down the acrylic into the sump water instead of splashing down.

Armando,
I was reading the 'euro-reef' club thread in the lighting and filtration forum on RC the other day and in there is a description of how to solve your problem. It is a HUGE thread (like 75 pages) but I only read the first 10 and the last 2 so it shouldn't be that bad to search. If I remember correctly, there were pictures but maybe not.

Hope that helps a little.
-Karen

Last edited:
I don't mind mine making noise ...it's downstairs. Although I may try it just because.

Last edited:
Armando, I've seen some people place a PVC Tee on the output of some
EuroReef skimmers and then redirect the output down into the sump using
a length of PVC tube.

I don't have any references to direct you to, but search RC to see if you find
anything. I used this method with an old EuroReef F4 model. Joe Scavo has that
skimmer now, he may be using the same method. The backpressure this puts on
the skimmer may cause some problems with overflowing.

I just checked the euroreef thread, this guy used a Durso, similar to what Mike Accardi described:

Dsc01009.jpg

marco67 said:
Just thinking out loud here, but how about: a piece of acrylic like ~5"X12" a 1.25" hole driled close to one end so you could slide it over the stand pipe and leave it at an angle. That would let the water flow down the acrylic into the sump water instead of splashing down.

I have a similar setup on mine Marc, great minds think alike. Having an 8-4 the discharge is quite high and the foam kept slipping down so I just took a piece of 4" acrylic that I had laying around and put it around the outflow so that the outflow essentially is now a 1.25" pipe within a 4" pipe. My concern was more about splashing and making a mess but it did quiet it down considerably. Mine is open on the top so there is still a decent amount of noise but if you put a cap on the top and drilled a couple holes to allow airflow into it Id imagine the noise would be reduced considerably.

If you need a pic I can probably get one tonight and post it.

BTW I should take this opportunity to thank Mike Accardi who sold me this skimmer a long time ago. I finally got it up and running about 2 weeks ago and man the thing kicks a** compared to my old POS.

RobboT said:
BTW I should take this opportunity to thank Mike Accardi who sold me this skimmer a long time ago. I finally got it up and running about 2 weeks ago and man the thing kicks a** compared to my old POS.

Rub it in! ;)
JK ...it was probably a bit much for what I wanted it for anyhow

Rob, make sure you warn the wife before you take the collection cup and
clean it out in the kitchen sink.

It rots worse than a three week old diaper.

Glad to hear it's performing as expected. We pay top dollar for this equipment,
we shouldn't expect anything less than top performance !

Armando said:
I just checked the euroreef thread, this guy used a Durso, similar to what Mike Accardi described:

Dsc01009.jpg

looking at this picture again, what a bizarre pipe in the overflow return! i wonder how much that help with bubbles.

Mike Accardi said:
Rob, make sure you warn the wife before you take the collection cup and
clean it out in the kitchen sink.

It rots worse than a three week old diaper.

Glad to hear it's performing as expected. We pay top dollar for this equipment,
we shouldn't expect anything less than top performance !

Hehe she was already there when I cleaned it the first time. Funny thing is she said it was nothing compared to two things : one was the bucket of xenia i collected during trimming a few weeks ago, the other was me after eating certain foods ;)

a little Kalk paste in the skimmer works wonders for the smell. With Euro-Reef you really need it unless they are dumped daily.

look on their website at the External design.
its 1 1/2 pipe get a gate valve, a T and some pipe.
you can mimic the ext models and your noise will go away.

i can't find their web site. i guess i'm not "feeling very lucky today". does anyone know what is it?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back