How do you clean your seams?

Slombardi

BRS Member
Is anyone worried about continuously hitting their seams with an algea scrapper? I the tunze with the metal blade attached. Have been using it for years and it is great at getting any algea off the glass, even coraline. I hesitate to use it at the seams. I have heard both it will damage the seams and also that it's not a problem at all. How careful do I need to be when scrapping this coraline?

20220721_075047.jpg

HOTOOLME Algae Scraper Fish Tank Scraper Cleaner Tool Kit Aquarium Fish Tank Starter Kits https://a.co/d/4lgIQWk

I use one of these. Really great for cleaning the glass as long as you keep using a fresh razor. It gets right up to the silicone

HOTOOLME Algae Scraper Fish Tank Scraper Cleaner Tool Kit Aquarium Fish Tank Starter Kits https://a.co/d/4lgIQWk

I use one of these. Really great for cleaning the glass as long as you keep using a fresh razor. It gets right up to the silicone
One slip and looks like it will cut a seam. I use plastic credit card and patients.

One slip and looks like it will cut a seam. I use plastic credit card and patients.
I have the same one. The base is about 7 or 8mm wider than the blade on either end of the scraper which prevents nicks. You can stick it right in the corner so that the scraper is touching the glass and the blade won't run up on the silicone (unless it's a really messy silicone job). Aros is right though, I have to change the razor each time. They rust out like crazy, even when you rinse with fresh water and towel dry.

I have the same one. The base is about 7 or 8mm wider than the blade on either end of the scraper which prevents nicks. You can stick it right in the corner so that the scraper is touching the glass and the blade won't run up on the silicone (unless it's a really messy silicone job). Aros is right though, I have to change the razor each time. They rust out like crazy, even when you rinse with fresh water and towel dry.
I have the same blade it’s an awesome blade

Yea that looks helpful for sure! Its similar to a handle I have for standard razor blades. I guess I am always a little wearly of using blades around the seams in general.

The way a lot of these rimless tanks are built now I wasn't sure if its really even that much of a hazard or if I could be doing some serious damage.

Can confirm the rust. Two weeks ago I majorly gashed my finger on an extra rusty blade from this thing while I was trying to remove the screw that holds the blade in place. Tetanus shot for me.

Back