How do you hang T5 fixture using shelf brackets?

Chlorinated

Non-member
Hi all,

My wife and I are planning to move to a new apartment soon. In our current apartment, my T5 lights (Aquatic Life 24" 4bulb T5 - old discontinued unit) are suspended from the ceiling. I discussed the install with my Super and he even helped me install them. However. Not all apartment owners are so amicable to holes in the ceiling.

I saw a couple years ago a BRS video where they suspended lights from 2 shelving brackets. I feel like this would be an ideal solution for me as small holes in the wall are an easier repair than the ceiling.

My question is...how do you do it? My T5 fixture is about 16lbs. My fear is hanging the lights from the fixture and having all that weight so far (about 10") from the wall where the brackets are secured.

Normally shelves have weight distribution across the shelf not just out on the far end. So:

1. What should I look for in a bracket? Would like something slightly decorative obviously.

2. Does weight capacity of the bracket matter if I am not using it as a traditional shelf, but hanging something from the bracket?

3. Best mounting options for the brackets? Basic plastic drywall anchors, toggle bolts (don't even know if they will fit through screw holes in brackets), toggle drywall anchors?

I am not super handy, so any advice would be super appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

I’ve used something similar to these in the past. Is anyone on the forum a welder?

This should be close to what your ideally looking for.

Aquatic Life makes a wall bracket.
This should be close to what your ideally looking for.

I looked at this option, but that uses specific hardware for their hybrid fixture. Or atleast that is my understanding.

I have an old T5 fixture from that the was discontinued years ago. I have a hanging kit that works, but I need something to hang the light from.

Also. My tank is the IM Nuvo 20. I dont know if that bracket would even be able to attach to my stand unfortunately.

It may work. My concern is I dont have a traditional stand. I have an MDF stand made by IM fir the tank. I dont have the usual supports and trim as a wooden stand. This is why I felt shelf brackets may be the best choice.

Does anyone have any building experience? I just want to know if its possible, and why type if anchor system I should be using.

Thanks guys for all the help!

It may work. My concern is I dont have a traditional stand. I have an MDF stand made by IM fir the tank. I dont have the usual supports and trim as a wooden stand. This is why I felt shelf brackets may be the best choice.

Does anyone have any building experience? I just want to know if its possible, and why type if anchor system I should be using.

You could possibly make a frame to support something like that behind the stand so it's not visible and install that last option i sent or keep searching around for a wall shelf option idea...Good luck.

Could use 80/20 or galvanized pipe similar to this

Sure you could find some heavy duty brackets, and just screw/lag them into the wall studs.

I like to use snap toggles for the wall connection. They hold well, I have them all over MGH.

You can create a attachment point behind the stand to hold electrical conduct to use as a light hanger or do something like this.

Attachments

• 20200513_132545.jpg
    20200513_132545.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 261
  • 20200513_132614.jpg
    20200513_132614.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 277
  • 20200513_132634.jpg
    20200513_132634.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 260
These would work

pm me if you’re interested

I like to use snap toggles for the wall connection. They hold well, I have them all over MGH.

You can create a attachment point behind the stand to hold electrical conduct to use as a light hanger or do something like this.
Nice work on the setup. I think I'm leaning towards wall brackets and toggles. Just need to find brackets that fit the bill.

These would work

pm me if you’re interested
PM sent

Back