How does everyone NOT scratch their glass?

B.rian

i would rather be diving
I was hoping to get tips/tricks/trademarks from reefers who have avoided scratching the glass of their tanks. Every time I have a setup I feel like I scratch the glass. I have tried Magfloats, Tunze magnets, and just using credit cards, and every time I will eventually get scratches. Thanks for any and all input!

Going on two years with my new custom tank and can say not a scratch. I use a Magfloat and other than staying 1/2 inch or so away from the gravel bed and not moving to fast that's all I do. The type of gravel used is also a factor some gravel is easer to "float up" and catch between the glass and the Magfloat.

Do you use black sand? I have heard people say that the black sand is magnetic to the glass cleaners... I have no experience myself though..

Stay away from magnet cleaners. I use a fresh razor blade every time.

Don’t think there’s really any 100% way to it. It’s more of a when not if

Can't say I've ever been successful at avoiding scratches completely, especially with the softer, low-iron glass people like these days.

I can't get the algae off the glass without a bladed scraper, but that eventually seems to mean getting debris caught and getting the occasional light scratches after a few years.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back