How long have you been a member of BRS, and how long have you kept reef tanks?

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
Just as the title states. I joined BRS somewhere in 2004 before the MACNA 16(?) Show. Different username back then. I've been keeping reef tanks on and off since 2003, so 16 years

Joined at the beginning of 2015 when I first got into reefing myself.
My dad was a member when I was younger though. Been around salt tanks on and off for a while. But really only started caring when I got my own tank.

Joined in 04 and that was my first saltwater tank. Have kept fw tanks since I was a kid on n off through the years. After having a nice planted tank I got bored and wanted something more challenging and someone from New England aquarium society told me about Brs and that changed everything lol

So i have my first tank about 18yrs ago. started with a 55 FOWLR. then 72 mixed. and current 90gal w/corner overflo. graduated myself to thinking that killing acro and others in the new setup would be a good new challenge. LOL.
First joined brs about 6yrs ago but was not very active. Renewed interest in the hobby has brought me back to brs again happily

I remember wanting a tank reallllllly bad when my dad had his. I was like 10 or 12 and would go on reefcentral and another forum that I cant think of now. I would come up with ridiculous stock lists and people would get mad at me lol. I cringe now, thinking of those lists I used to make.
o_O
I actually remember asking if there was a freshwater clownfish at tropic isle...hahahahah

Joined last year at ffm and have been keeping reef tanks since 2000 with a break in between due to moving. Started with a standard 180 with a prism hob filter that the lfs said would handle 500gal heavy bio load no problem. Lol Fortunately shortly after his shop closed and I found a quality lfs.

Bought a 45g tall FOWLR "complete" setup in about 2002 (?). Muchly ignored it during college, then moved and left it with parents (thus even more ignored). Transferred it to a 20g long in 2012, while obtaining the bits for a 40B. FYI, 50+ lbs LR really fills the bejesus out of a 20g. Once in the 40B in 2013 (finally a sump!) I started adding easy corals. Upgraded to 75g in ~2016 due to a slowly leaking seam.

Joined BRS in 2012.

Never had any type of aquarium in my life until my wife came home from work with a free 55 gallon. I was mad at the time and said "what the heck we need that for", lol that was in 1996. I haven't been tankless since. It had a HOB overflow with a wet dry. It was a fish only system but I soon found coral and started the quest for the knowledge to keep them. I joined BRS in 2008.

When I moved to Boston in 2009 from California, my new wife and I moved in together and decided to mark the occasion by getting a reef tank. I used an old 50g tank that I had previously had freshwater in, and am still using that same tank. Tropic Isle set me up with all the extra equipment I needed to get started reefing. I joined BRS, and not long after, I got one of my first corals: an RBTA from Frank. Then I met Dong, and ever since my tank has been stuffed with corals.

Off and on in the hobby for 25 years. Was a member of BRS back around 2003 but had a different userid. Took a leave of absence from the hobby around 2005 and started up again about 3 years ago.

I remember wanting a tank reallllllly bad when my dad had his. I was like 10 or 12 and would go on reefcentral and another forum that I cant think of now. I would come up with ridiculous stock lists and people would get mad at me lol. I cringe now, thinking of those lists I used to make.
o_O
I actually remember asking if there was a freshwater clownfish at tropic isle...hahahahah
Maybe a clown loach. About the extent of fw that I can think of

Became a member in 2008, had a reef tank for a year prior to that but had tanks my entire life. My dad used to dive all over the place and bring home stuff to toss in his cold water tank growing up. Been tankless a few months now but moving soon so things happen for a reason I guess.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back