How many fish is too many??

FishieBusiness

BRS Member
I'm running a 90gal mixed reef and wondering how many fish can it handle. So far Yellow tang, pair of clowns, bangi cardinal, and fire fish. Like to add more but don't want to overload. So that brings me to the question how many can it handle?

I have a mature pair of Cinnamon clowns and a 6 line wrasse in a 29 biocube. I'd like to add a small tang as well, so I'd say you could fit quite a few more fish in your 90.

I have two larger clowns a small hippo tang a yellow tang two Chromis and a mandarin in my 65 gallon and I’m having trouble getting my phosphate up I took my skimmer off line a week ago just to see if that helps. I think you can definitely add a couple more without problems just go slow and add one at a time so the bio load can adjust

Amount of fish is dependent on tank set up. Dimension of the tank, aquascape, skimmer, water change, type of fish, are all factors that will determine how many fish you can have. I want to say how often you feed the fish but I really feel everyone should feed their fish generously and not skim on their feeding so they can have more fish in the tank.

Is the question how many can fit bioload wise, or how many can fit behaviorally?

You can fit more bioload wise for sure. And a number is dependent on the size of fish as well - obviously you could fit a gaggle of little gobies and such, but fewer larger fish.

Behaviorally, you'll need to use trickery to add other algae grazers since you have an established zebrasoma tang. But ground dwellers that don't compete should be easier.

Agreed on above, lots of factors and what kind of tank you want. My tank takes quite a bit of work but it has the activity and mix that I like, I really like wrasses, they are small, active and not very messy.

I have a mixed reef but mainly the easier types of corals like leathers, toadstools, yuma, ricordea, Rhodactus, mushrooms BTA's and Zoa's.
I would consider what I have for fish to be a heavy load and I feed very well with flakes and pellets in the morning, Algae sheets every other day and 3-4 cubes frozen pretty much every day. My Nitrates run around 25 and Phospahtes around 1.5. With this load I do a 25% water change every 2 weeks.
My tank takes quite a bit of work but it has the acitivity and mix that I like.

I also have some fish that limit my coral choice like Aiptasia eating file fish took a liking to my pocilipora that was growing like weeds and anything with polyps for that matter once all the Aiptaisa was gone and I caught the foxface at my torches, when I had them but here is my stocking list for a redsea reefer 450, 94 gallon DT for an idea.

Yellow Tang (might need to rehome soon)
redtail trigger
Ocelaris Clown Pair
pair of filefish
pair melanaurus wrasse
Leopard wrasse
Moeyers wrasse
black leopard wrasse
Coral beauty angel
China wrasse
Lawnmower Blenny
shrimp goby
red scooter blenny
Flame cardinal trio
Fox Face Lo (who is getting too big and might need to rehome soon)
yellow watchman goby
Midas Blenny
Plus pair of fireshrimp and pair of coral banded shrimp

Last edited:
This is what I plan on for my 50 cube

I have clown pair, pink bar goby with pistol shrimp

I’m getting
Leopard wrasse
Exquisite fairy wrasse
Helfrichi firefish

Maybe a baby purple tang when I have tons of sps that need more food lol (will trade it out for smaller size once it gets to big)

Is the question how many can fit bioload wise, or how many can fit behaviorally?

You can fit more bioload wise for sure. And a number is dependent on the size of fish as well - obviously you could fit a gaggle of little gobies and such, but fewer larger fish.

Behaviorally, you'll need to use trickery to add other algae grazers since you have an established zebrasoma tang. But ground dwellers that don't compete should be easier.
Was thinking of bioload wise. I know I will have to be careful of behaviorally. Skimmer is oversized for the system. Water changes 25% bi-weekly. Think dimensions are 48Lx18Wx24D plenty of swim room. maybe 50lbs. rock.

I used to have 2 clowns, a cardinal fish, an orchid dottyback and a small goby in my 25ish gallon tank and I felt like I could have gotten away with 1 other small fish... As mentioned comes down to set up. My skimmer is over rated for my set up and I do large water changes (20-25%)...

Funny this thread came up I recently lost my dottyback and I'm looking to replace it with 1-3 more fish ;)

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back