How many pods can a tiny Ruby Red Dragonette eat in 2 minutes?

Paul B

paul b
For people who want dragonettes like this little female Ruby Red, scooter bleeny or mandarins, just look at how many pods she can eat in a couple of minutes........Thousands a day so unless you want to go broke buying pods, an aged tank is best.

I have a pair of these, mandarins, scooters and blue stripe pipefish so many pods are essential.
I have never bought a pod in my life. :)

Yes she does. I got that tiny ruby red yesterday. :D Soon she will fatten up and spawn. I also have a male. My last ones jumped out. This one almost jumped out as I was acclimating her.

The last pair I had were spawning and jumped out a day apart.

They don't look very aerodynamic, but they can fly. :(

This is how they look with eggs.

Beautiful fish! Do they adapt to prepared foods, or they pretty much a pods only species?

How often? And how many dragonets do you have in your tank and I guess take size would help too? Thanks Paul

I have 4 dragonettes now. 2 mandarins and 2 ruby reds. I feed the worms 2 or 3 times a week. I would feed more but my small worm tank can't make to many worms.

They are eating some worms here.

In all seriousness this is awesome. I admire your dedication to keeping them healthy. I had a mandarin that ate mysis, but he was so slow that he could never compete. I ended up feeding him one mysis at a time through a length of rigid airline tubing. He was never skinny but still randomly died one day. Honestly it was such a pain to feed him. Probably won't sign up for that responsibility again. @Mixed Reefer has a pair of captive bred ones that seem to be doing well for him. Not sure if he has to do supplemental pods, but they seem to be thriving.

I haven't fed any of my dragonettes or pipefish directly in almost 4 years and they are doing fine. But it is all about what is living in your tank and how you maintain it.

You need plenty of "mulm" and homes for pods, worms etc. A clean tank won't do it as that is not natural for those fish. They want to find and eat a pod every few seconds.
Here, 4 years ago, I was using my feeder

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back