How often do you clean your glass?

Gsxkid

BRS Member
I have to clean my acrylic daily or it becomes overwhelming. It’s a brown film that hardens on and cannot be easily wiped away. Starts to harden like coralline algae. Issue with it is I can’t scrape it and it comes back so quick. Just curious if it’s normal

I try and clean it every day but since I've started dosing phyto in the tank the past few weeks I've noticed a drop off in algea on the glass and it also seems much easier and not as firm (if that makes sense) when I do scrape it off...

I wish I had coralline lol. I have to clean my glass everyday to every other day. Sometimes I get lazy and let it go longer but not often

I have to clean my acrylic daily or it becomes overwhelming. It’s a brown film that hardens on and cannot be easily wiped away. Starts to harden like coralline algae. Issue with it is I can’t scrape it and it comes back so quick. Just curious if it’s normal
I get the same on my acrylic. I don't think I'll ever go acrylic again seeing how easy it scratches. The only plus I see to it is how light it is. Mines not so much a film as its a bunch of tiny dots, for coraline I use a credit card to get it off.

I had experience with both tanks, both are the same in terms of algae. However I desagree with @Chrisnnemo on scratches. My old peninsula (3/4 inch glass) would scratch with my nails, it was very easy and in couple months was all messed up meanwhile I was adjusting escape. The acrilic has now a buffer that goes inside of the water and can remove any scratches which you can't do with glass. I tried several scraper on my, the best was this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007BP35D6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 this other one was ok https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R7FNWDP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but since the CC today come thin and thin, I found out it does not work well. But I clean my every once a week

Mine needs to be cleaned every 2 days. It is glass, now more than 20 years old, and has lots of scratches. They don't bug me very much. I do want to get either starfire or acrylic though because the slight green tinge of the glass takes away from some of the nice colors in the tank.

I get the same on my acrylic. I don't think I'll ever go acrylic again seeing how easy it scratches. The only plus I see to it is how light it is. Mines not so much a film as its a bunch of tiny dots, for coraline I use a credit card to get it off.

I keep finding myself saying that. I don’t ever want another acrylic tank. I got mine for free and because of its size I keep it. Not the best pic but it’s 8 feet long

Attachments

• 08355CC2-9F88-41D2-836A-18AE5F170B9D.jpeg
    08355CC2-9F88-41D2-836A-18AE5F170B9D.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 182
Clean mine once-twice a day lol
PSA : Starphire glass is softer and will scratch easier

Was totally unaware of that good to know. Can the starphire be buffed out like acrylic? I’m not super worried about scratches I’ve buffed them out of my tank before. It’s just a matter of being a pain that if I go 3 days the stuff is so hard to get off. I just didn’t know if it’s something with my water or tank. Sounds like it’s pretty common though.

I wouldn’t buff a tank even if it was acrylic unless you’re going to buff the whole panel or you’ll see the difference. Glass will always be harder to buff if at all.

I wish I had coralline lol. I have to clean my glass everyday to every other day. Sometimes I get lazy and let it go longer but not often

I try to clean glass every day or other day. The coralline needs to be scraped with a razor if I don’t clean almost every day.

I try to clean glass every day or other day. The coralline needs to be scraped with a razor if I don’t clean almost every day.

That’s my issue I can’t use razors lol Also curious what you guys mean by cleaning every day. With a magnet or by hand in the tank?

That’s my issue I can’t use razors lol Also curious what you guys mean by cleaning every day. With a magnet or by hand in the tank?
I bought the Mag-Float for acrylic and I stopped using it because I thought it was making scratches. I use a pad I bought from Petco now, I just have to stick my hand in the tank.

Back