How often do you have to calibrate ph and orp probes for an Apex?

I don't run ORP because I don't need another number to chase, but I do pH every 6 months, even though it is suggested to do every 3 months, and is fairly cheap. It is recommended to be done once a month for reactors, but I don't run one.

I recal my PH when I don’t believe the value anymore. It’s usually a year +/- 2 months. If I still don’t believe it after the recal, I would order a new probe.

My ph is stable as far as it goes. It will swing from 8.0 to 8.3 night to day but it is consistent. So I think it been accurate but Have not calibrated since install.

I was thinking of using an orp probe to judge when to change out carbon. What are your thoughts on that?

As stated. How often do you calibrate your probes?
Well here is my 2 cents on this subject.

1. PH probe like mentioned above when your #’s are not believable. Typically about every year but as soon as 6 months. when I find the PH probe keeps drifting out of calibration quickly I then replace.

2. ORP it is not really a number to chase but a big indicator of the health of your system, when something typically bad is happening in your system or changes which you can not see you will see this drop quickly and may not return to your typical daily numbers. ORP probe is cheaper to replace than calibrate since the required solutions are expensive
to tr to calibrate. I have had to replace these as soon as a year but as long as 2 years.

Hope the above helps Happy Reefing!

Apex salinity probe. Lololol and that new probe. Lololol

Attachments

• 2022_01_17_10.35.45.jpg
    2022_01_17_10.35.45.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 118
Learned a hard lesson a while ago when my salinity probe was way off, so I always check my PH/Alk/Cal/Salinity maybe monthly or more with other kits to make sure my probs are reading right. If they are off I recalibrate. Never trust one source.

Orp I have just because I have the probe, but only use it as an indicator since calibrating it requires a bunch of stupid stuff.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back