How to clean my Water mixing station

Intheflesh

Non-member
So I have admittedly been lazy with water changes. I have 2 bins, one for RO for top off and one for salt. I noticed last week that my Salt water bin has brownish stuff lining the bottom and a 'smell' to it. It was filled with just RO. I hadn't mixed the salt yet. I'm thinking there was a bacteria bloom and die off from the last time I mixed AF Probiotic salt. My RO tank is unaffected, so I'm pretty sure the source isn't the water itself, rather it is the salt mix.

Regardless. Whats the best way to 'clean' the system. I was thinking of just throwing some bleach in there and running the pump to circulate. If I remember correctly, chlorine evaporates fairly quickly? If I bleach this tank, drain, rinse, drain and maybe rinse a second time, and then let air dry for a few days, I should be good right?

If not, any other suggestions? Thanks much

I use vinegar and a dish brush, rinse it out a few times after. Bleach makes me nervous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

+1 for Vinegar.

You'd be surprised how much settles out and accumulates in a mixing container. I'm often not able to remove it without vinegar.

In terms of RO containers, you're going to get a degree of water souring and sometimes bacterial films. I might use hydrogen peroxide to clean that if it looks like algae or bacteria.

I just use a sponge and a hose to scrub and rinse it out of my storage barrels.
Vinegar if its really nasty. I've been using and airstone and it seems to help out at preventing build up.

It's likely ferric oxide residue. Most salts have an amount of iron that can precipitate out when held for long periods of time in a barrel.

I also have a brown residue that builds up. For me it's at least in part calcium carbonate from the calcium and bicarbonate in the mix precipitating out. When I clean mine (about once every 2 years), I do it outside and I use hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid from the hardware store) diluted with a bit of water. If you use my method be careful and you may want goggles and watch out for the fumes.

Thanks for the info!

New development: I mixed a batch of salt water last weekend. I haven't had the chance to actually do a W/C, so it has been sitting a few days. Last night I went down in the basement to haul a couple of buckets of water upstairs, and my batch of water is cloudy and smelly! No idea whats going on; can't say I have even had this happen before. I am using AF Sea Salt (not probiotic)

Back