How to dial in a calcium reactor. (Yes I missed the meeting)

Groove

XReefer :o(
I purchased a dual chamber calcium reactor in hopes of a bigger tank and switching to SPS. I'd appreciate help in how to dial it in. The directions that come with it don't really cover everything. Mind you this is an experiment right now as I set it up on a small system to try it out. I will be moving it to a larger system soon.

The system:
Main Tank - 55 gallon with DSB, softies, and three small SPS frags
Refugium - 50 gallon with DSB, Helmedia(SP?), Chetomorphia(SP?) lighting run at night
Sump - 50 gallon (1/3 full)

I figure this puts me around 120 gallon total volume. I used to drip Kalk at night and add buffer as needed. For years I have been battling a pH that just rises and I fight to keep it down. I secretly hoped that a calc reactor would help with this. It hasn't yet.

Where I'm at now:
pH 8.45 (At the end of the main tank's light cycle)
Alk 4.9 meq/L
Calc 495 ppm
Mag ??? Don't have a test kit. Is this a must have?

Reactor's settings:
33 mL efluent/min
pH 7.3 (After second chamber. As it enters the sump)
BPM ~ 40 (I am going to have to recount this. I forgot to count last night but this was what it was last week)

I have been trying to let the system run for a long period of time before I make adjustments. As I see it, my Alk and Calcium are on the high side. Reading from Randy's Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems I am in Zone 1 and I need to take no corrective action. I assume this means I shouldn't dose anything. Since I am getting my Alk and calcium from the reactor, I guess I need to take it off line, or drop the effluent and BPM until the levels drop. (Or add a bunch of SPS. :D )
Am I reading this right?

Groove, sounds like you are adding more in than your system is using. I would cut back (less or slower effluent drip??) and let your system use some up and it will drop. PH s/b around 8.2 and alk around 3.5 (I think NSW around 3?? correct me if I'm wrong). Still not too far off tho.

Thanks wrassefan, you confirmed for me that I need for coral. :D Who in their right mind want to slow down the addition of calcium??? :D

FYI, the first sign I had of my parameters climbing out of a safe range was my polyps have a slight dusting of white on them and don't extend although they are open.

A nice big clam will suck up that alk and calcium, real fast. ;)
Do you have good strong lighting?

I cannot understand why your pH is running high. If you are still using kalkwasser, stop doing so. Are you sure your pH kit or probe is giving you a good number?

Greg Hiller said:
I cannot understand why your pH is running high. If you are still using kalkwasser, stop doing so. Are you sure your pH kit or probe is giving you a good number?

This has been a mystery to me as well. I always thought it was due to dosing kalkwasser. I stopped dosing when I added the reactor about 2 months ago. I have never had to correct for a low pH ever. Through out ideas as it's always bugged me.

I tested with pH probe on my Octopus and double checked with a test kit. (I forget the brand but it has the little foil pouch.)

groove,
i have been immersed in this lately.
from what i have heard/read, you want your alk to be High. high as in 6.0 (12) high.
the higher the alk the more growth you'll get.
higher ca doens't = growth, its the ALK that does.

solve your problem.... Add a bunch of SPS. you'll be right on :D

One note...if you slow your effluent rate I would think that could lower the pH of the effluent (since the water will be spending more time in the reactor) but I'm not sure if that really matters as a) your pH seems high anyway and b) you'd be slowing down the effluent rate...

Have you measured the effluent's alkalinity and calcium content?

joefitz said:
One note...if you slow your effluent rate I would think that could lower the pH of the effluent (since the water will be spending more time in the reactor) but I'm not sure if that really matters as a) your pH seems high anyway and b) you'd be slowing down the effluent rate...

Have you measured the effluent's alkalinity and calcium content?

You are right Joe. If I slow down the effluent rate and leave the bubble count the same, the pH would go up. They say reactor media can disolve in pH of 7.7 or lower depending on the media. The pH in the first chamber is lower than the second so my first chamber might be something like 7.0. I think if the pH gets to low, you can ruin your media as it turns to mush. With my current low SPS count I disconnected the reactor until I get the reading down a little. I will then shoot for a lower effluent and bubble count. I'm kind of supprised my coraline algae growth has not really taken off. Might be due to the high pH in the tank?

Scott,
Good find. I'll read that and see if it helps me understand a little better.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back