How to kill Xenia

Zach77

Non-member
Anyone ever had success with any fish or chemical to kill off Xenia? I've got a massive infestation in one of my tanks. I've done the manual removal route and H2O2, but these are only temporary fixes as it always comes back with a vengeance! Only inhabitants in the tank are a couple clowns, goby, and 15 RBTAs. There are some random zoas, mushrooms, rics, and leathers that I don't mind losing as long as the xenia goes with it.... Just looking at options that don't involve me removing the rocks and bleaching (it's one large cemented structure).

Hi I’m in Ashland, if you want to give some away I would love to add some Xenia to my tank. There is a nudibranch that eat xenia, just google it it looks like a Xenia.

Hi I’m in Ashland, if you want to give some away I would love to add some Xenia to my tank. There is a nudibranch that eat xenia, just google it it looks like a Xenia.
Sadly the mimic nudibranch isn’t readily available to us. If you really want some I can throw some rubble rock in the tank and I’m sure it’ll be covered in a week or two.

I physically ripped, and carved out all of them when I had them. They haven't shown up again, but obviously one's results will differ.

Sadly the mimic nudibranch isn’t readily available to us. If you really want some I can throw some rubble rock in the tank and I’m sure it’ll be covered in a week or two.
I would love that thank you

You could try blocking it out. I'm going through something similar with ricordia and encrusting monti's encroaching on and killing my acros. I picked up some vinyl pond liner and reef epoxy and covered the areas where they were growing. It's been on for 2 weeks so far and the montis seem to have died but ricordia, while defiintely suffering, it's still not gone.

You could try blocking it out. I'm going through something similar with ricordia and encrusting monti's encroaching on and killing my acros. I picked up some vinyl pond liner and reef epoxy and covered the areas where they were growing. It's been on for 2 weeks so far and the montis seem to have died but ricordia, while defiintely suffering, it's still not gone.
I’ve heard of others doing similar with small pieces of tile. Essentially smothering it and letting it grow up the tiles and then remove the tile. I might try this route, but I’ve got some growing on angles where this method wouldn’t work. Do you use the pond liner so you can wrap around edges?

I’ve heard of others doing similar with small pieces of tile. Essentially smothering it and letting it grow up the tiles and then remove the tile. I might try this route, but I’ve got some growing on angles where this method wouldn’t work. Do you use the pond liner so you can wrap around edges?
Exactly. The pond liner allows me to wrap around existing corals and really fit in to the corners. I then use the epoxy to hold it down.

Im going to give this a try. I have a blue shroom invasion that is taking over and encroaching other corals and occupying prime real estate. What reef epoxy do you use? Does it work in water or do you have to remove the rocks and dry them to use this method?

Im going to give this a try. I have a blue shroom invasion that is taking over and encroaching other corals and occupying prime real estate. What reef epoxy do you use? Does it work in water or do you have to remove the rocks and dry them to use this method?
I used Instant Ocean Holdfast Epoxy Stick Bonding Solution because it was cheap. Amazon has it for $5 a tube. I normally use AquaStik, but at nearly 3x the price, I took my chances with the Holdfast. It served it's purpose. My corals are too encrusted to try to disassemble, so I did it right in the tank.

I used Instant Ocean Holdfast Epoxy Stick Bonding Solution because it was cheap. Amazon has it for $5 a tube. I normally use AquaStik, but at nearly 3x the price, I took my chances with the Holdfast. It served it's purpose. My corals are too encrusted to try to disassemble, so I did it right in the tank.
Thanks for the help I appreciate it. I will look into today.

Don't put it in your tank :p… Sorry I couldn't resist I remember the Xenia only tank my old 55 turned into...

How do you remove it when you are ready?? I thought that the epoxy was permanent.

Don't put it in your tank :p… Sorry I couldn't resist I remember the Xenia only tank my old 55 turned into...
I know, I know. I knew better and shouldn’t have, it started as a couple pieces on a rock I got from another reefer that was covered in rics and tyree toadstool.

pretty sure many people have used fenbendazole to kill it with success.

I’ve read about this, but have heard mixed results with negative effects to any fish in the system. I could move the goby to my display tank, but I already have a pair of clowns so can’t add those.

Back