How to raise nitrates

There’s a balance in everything. If you think you need more nutrient in the water, get more fish and let them do the job for you.
I don’t believe in dosing anything and keeping this hobby long term. It may seem fun in the beginning but it won’t last. Let nature do the work for you.
I’ve been in this hobby for a long time and the only reason why I’m able to do so is because I don’t have to worry about stuff like that.

I agree with you but in my small tank( smallest I’ve ever had 29 biocube) I can’t keep that many fish and then I’m on the opposite side of the battle trying to reduce everything. I do believe the natural course is the best but not feasible in all instances.

I have 6 fish and will soon add one more, so I think I'll be at my limit as well. And I feed Nori every other day and about a half a cube of frozen every day. I'd be interested in the use of the protein skim. For now I'll bump up nitrates with the potassium nitrate then try and find a way to keep it at the level properly

I used acropwer before the nitrate but didn’t want to overdo it.
The corals did color up more after a couple weeks. It can’t tell you it was this or that since sps can take a while to adjust but they looked good. Now I’m fighting another battle with phosphates. I just need a larger tank lol

Just got the Hanna ULR phosphorous checker. My phosphates are 0.0091 ppm.
If I raise nitrates will the phosphates also raise? Or must I do something else?

If you’re phosphate is low , just feed a little bit more and test a week later. Will help with nitrates as well. If phosphate doesn’t go up there’s a few additives but I doubt it won’t go up with more food

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back