How to safely reduce phosphates

DEIGNAN14

BRS Member
I tried gfo/rowaphos. When I refresh
the media is crashes my PH/alk. I’ve also heard it can leach heavy metals that sps are sensitive to. My sps would agree with this theory.

I’ve dosed nitrates and I’ve cleaned my sandbed. This helped a lot but my levels are slowly creeping back up - likely leaching our from my sand or my very old rock.

Any suggestions on the best way to control phosphate without creating other problems? Starting to remember why I stopped bothering with sps 10 years ago.

Are you feeding your corals? Don’t. Check the food your feeding for phosphate. More flow , so it suspends the food so you can get it out sooner before breaking down. Do you have filter floss or pads? Clean-or replace more frequently, Try a algae scrubber.

Phosphate Rx (Lanthanum) 1/2 recommended dose in the skimmer and usually good to go. I haven't had to use it on the new system but used to use it on an older one. Lots of Big names use it as well, so if' it's good enough for them, I guess it's good enough for me.

Are you feeding your corals? Don’t. Check the food your feeding for phosphate. More flow , so it suspends the food so you can get it out sooner before breaking down. Do you have filter floss or pads? Clean-or replace more frequently, Try a algae scrubber.
Thank you! I feed as little as possible and I’ve tried all of the above aside from an algae scrubber.

Phosphate Rx (Lanthanum) 1/2 recommended dose in the skimmer and usually good to go. I haven't had to use it on the new system but used to use it on an older one. Lots of Big names use it as well, so if' it's good enough for them, I guess it's good enough for a
Does this work in systems with SPS?

I thought this was considered a nuclear response only to be used as a last resort

What are the Nitrate and Phosphate levels that the tank gets up to and what are you trying to get it down to?

Way back, I dripped kalk into my skimmer for a phosphate issue. I forget the chemistry that happens, I think calcium phosphate is precipitates and is skimmed out. It worked for me but I had a much smaller system, mileage may vary.

What are the Nitrate and Phosphate levels that the tank gets up to and what are you trying to get it down to?
I’d like to get my phosphates down to .02 I’m more focused on achieving low enough levels to improve sps color and stability than I am about chasing a specific number.

My Nitrates have been more stable than this chart shows. I think these tests that came in high were shortly after dosing 20 ml of sodium nitrate solution.

Attachments

• 8B36C353-B360-4643-94FE-D977CA43DAA4.png
    8B36C353-B360-4643-94FE-D977CA43DAA4.png
    189.9 KB · Views: 221
  • E03DE36E-C323-4DC6-8107-42ED9D54B380.png
    E03DE36E-C323-4DC6-8107-42ED9D54B380.png
    187.2 KB · Views: 223
More water changes? I’ve switched to auto water changes with the DOS using just instant ocean and it’s been a game changer for me. Consistent water changes seems to be the safest way to drop your levels. I don’t like adding more chemicals or media to fix a problem I feel like it’s just another fail point if you don’t do it correctly.

I have an SPS dominant tank (180 gallons or so). When mine gets too high, I add a couple ml of Lanthanum Chloride. Add too much and phosphates go to zero in an instance.

Way back, I dripped kalk into my skimmer for a phosphate issue. I forget the chemistry that happens, I think calcium phosphate is precipitates and is skimmed out. It worked for me but I had a much smaller system, mileage may vary.
This is what i do. Macro algae or mangroves will help too if you have a fuge or are into that sort of thing.

You don't need to dose directly into the skimmer for this to happen though.

I have a degree in biochemistry and can confirm there is a reaction that happens causing this. I gladly will explain the principals behind it if you would like me to.

More water changes? I’ve switched to auto water changes with the DOS using just instant ocean and it’s been a game changer for me. Consistent water changes seems to be the safest way to drop your levels. I don’t like adding more chemicals or media to fix a problem I feel like it’s just another fail point if you don’t do it correctly.
I’ve increased changes from where I was and it’s helped some. My rock and sand are old so it’s likely leaching back in.

What is your current phosphate level and why do you need it to go down to 0.02? Are you seeing unhappy SPS?

I’ve increased changes from where I was and it’s helped some. My rock and sand are old so it’s likely leaching back in.
I highly recommend a tear down clean of rock and sand, along with water changes in elevated frequency and volume, thereafter, if you have not done this already. Any rock with no coral can be scrubbed gently depending on the growth on it you want to preserve and then swished very vigorously in a tub of clean tank water until all the detritus leaks out of them. Sand can be transferred out of the tank and into a bin that can be filled with seawater and mixed with your hands, then sieve the sand out with a fine mesh kitchen strainer until drip dry then transfer to another bin with clean water. Repeat that cycle until the sand does not make the water nasty. Put it all back together and leave it alone for a couple days, test water. I think you will really like the results.

I don't see any reason to try to get down to .02. I'm at .04 in highly sps intensive system and would prefer higher level if I could also avoid algae. I think color improves, don't want to starve them.

phosphate drops to 0 fast yea....but wont cause dino overnight....its the sustained 0's that causes it isnt it??? Also food starts to decomp in a tank in 6 hours? aswell as fish poop thats also phosphates? Unless you have uber nutrient exportation that small time frame of 0's IN MY OPINION will not crash you

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back