How Toxic are my Zoos ??

jacko

Coral Curator
I posted last week about killing my corals off with Joe's Juice:

I lost my LPS: a 3 headed FrogS., a splitting 6 to 9 headed FrogS., an open brain (about 4 inches across), a 2 inch purple & green fungia, and a three-headed trumpet. As well as a few digitata, m. cap, birdsnest, & pocilaporra. All my softies & zoos lived just fine, as did the acros.

I have been trying to figure out how this happened and I blamed the high pH resulting from using Joe's Juice (lime slurry) combined with my usual kalk top-off addition later that night. But I did not use a huge amount of ether, and I have used both in my tank for months. So, it seems that there is something else going on...

After talking about this to GHiller today, I got to thinking: I used Joe's Juice to kill my mojanos AND I used it to kill off a rock of ugly zoos.

I hated these zoos because they grew too fast, and they lacked color. So I Juiced them. I was remembering all the threads on the toxicity of zoos ... people killed their dogs, and whatnot, so can anyone tell me, how bad dead zoos are to my tank? Would their toxins kill LPS? Does anyone have any evidence of this?

You said you were getting a lot of calcium precipitation, which leads me to believe that there was at least something else going on. Whether killing zoo's in the tank would have a negative effect I can't answer, I don't think I'd try it myself though.

yes, calcium precipitation was also going on -- leading to the conclusion of high pH from too much lime. This zoo idea came second thinking that some high pH, kalk, and juice would not be enough to kill hardy LPS, etc...

How bid was this rock of zoanthids? Could have been a factor. Seems strange to me that your LPS died, but not the Acros. Does this mean that beautiful fungia died that I raised from a frag! uggh!

Greg, think of it this way:
How else are we to examine the fungia's beautiful and elaborate structure of bleached-white bone, which usually remains hidden under its flesh?

The rock is about football size. The zoos covered about a quarter of it. I killed off a couple dozen zoo polyps.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back