humidity

Kerry

Non-member
:mad: how do you reduce the humidity and associated odors that come from you're tanks. My significant other has lowered the boom! Tank or smell one has to go what do you do! Thoughts on the humidity problem are appreciated. Kerry

I have a 125g with a 75g fuge in the basement & a 40g sump. I also have a 55g (standalone) w/small sump underneath. All in approx the same area. My 1st floor is approx 1200+ sg ft & we have not noticed any smell. Skimmer & stuff are in the basement. I also run a dehumidifier in the basement. I do notice a smell down there. especially when I disturb the container that has my dead "hare" in it!! :eek:
One of these days I've got to dump that!!!

The tank is a 75gal ,no sump located in the basment.The tank has about 100lbs lr and softies with small assortment of macro alges and fish. h20 changes are done everytwo weeks. The top of the tank is open. Lighting is 4x95pc and 2x65. Ihave a finished portion and unfinshed area of the cellar. A small 2gal dehumidifer runs in the unfinshed area to keep my tools from rusting. The bathroom fan idea sounds good .The new spouse idea is far more expensive than I can afford. ? clothspin I dont get it. The other option is to blame low tide , I live in Marshfield.

I think there might be something to the low tide idea. Seriously, I have a 75 gal with about a 20 gal sump under the tank in a closed stand. I run a skimmer in the sump and I have no noticable smell unless I pull some Xenia out of the tank or I empty the skimmate from my skimmer.

I honestly don't understand why there is a smell.
-Karen

If there is a humidity problem, there is most likely going to be a smell problem. You are
looking for the right area to attack. AC and dehumidifiers are the logical answers. Sometimes a fan faced in the proper direction is all you need. Had a similar problem in my cabinet where sump is housed.Actually had mold groing on the bottom of the counter above the collection cup. Installed a fan last week...mold and smell are gone.

My tank (hood) is mostly enclosed. Due to the volume of air in the 1st floor, plus using the fireplace in the winter, probably keeps my humidity down.

I'm afraid to bury the hare corpse...afraid a 3 mile island incident will happen at this point

The smell is the moisture in the basement from normal moisture thru the concrete walls and floor. You need either more air movement (exhaust fan) or you need a bigger dehumidifier air conditioner in the finished area where the tank is. I run a 25pt dehumidifier that fills up every 2-3 days in my basement. Once I start using the air conditioner, the musty odor goes away and the dehumidifier pumps less out of the air.

For humidity get an exhaust fan and vent humid air to the outside via flexible dryer duct and vent. I would go with a commercial exhaust fan.

I bought one from : www.brewngrow.com

They also sell a really nice temp/humidity controller.

Kerry said:
The tank is a 75gal ,no sump located in the basment.The tank has about 100lbs lr and softies with small assortment of macro alges and fish. h20 changes are done everytwo weeks. The top of the tank is open. Lighting is 4x95pc and 2x65. Ihave a finished portion and unfinshed area of the cellar. A small 2gal dehumidifer runs in the unfinshed area to keep my tools from rusting. The bathroom fan idea sounds good .The new spouse idea is far more expensive than I can afford. ? clothspin I dont get it. The other option is to blame low tide , I live in Marshfield.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back