Hydra 26 HD noisy fan

mvallee

BRS Member
I ordered and have received 3 new Hydra 26HD to go over my tank. I have had them on for a week and one of the units from day 1 has had a fan that sounds like one of the blades is hitting something when it turns on. I removed the plastic cover and made sure the fan was seated and all looks good.
I called it in under warranty and instead of replacing the fixture they are sending me a fan replacement kit. I just watched the video on replacement steps and I will need to pull apart the light to get at the plug on the main board to replace this. Does this seem right on a $350 light from a major manufacturer. This has me seriously second guessing my decision to go with these lights :-( it was a lot of money and to have this issue right out of the box sux.

Chris A.

Formally toomanyfish
BRS Member
My ? Is why they didn’t just exchange it?
Seams to me if you have someone not qualified ( not saying you don’t know how to do it ) take it apart that the warranty would go to sh**.

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Replacing the fan is not a easy task for Hydra26HD, I am wondering why they choose to let you do it.

mvallee

BRS Member
Thanks for confirming this is unusual,
I have emailed them my displeasure in the way they chose to handle this issue and have informed them that if they cannot provide a better resolution in the form of full replacement of light I will be contacting Bulk reef supply to return

mvallee

BRS Member
Wow! this was his response to me wanting a light replacement

"Mike,

If you'd like you can have your light sent in and we will replace the fan for you. If you have any other questions, please give us a call today.

Thanks again,
Alex "

I am going to reply that I will be pursuing returning all lights and going with one of your competitors lights for my tank, we'll see if this gets a rise out of them.

mvallee

BRS Member
At least he answered you lol:eek:
always the optimist are you LOL

I talked to BRS and although not optimal they have sent me a return shipping label to return the light and as soon as I ship it back and they can track it they will expedite shipping of a new one to me. PITA to have to unmount and disconnect all the wiring but I have no corals yet so no real harm just extra work and a better solution to me than AI's

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Bulkreefsupply is great, they take care of their customers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
That is not AI you were talking to, that is Ecotech customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mvallee

BRS Member
all could be a non issue, took the light down in prep for shipment and thought let's have a look see what could be making this noise, took the plastic fan guard off and not that, screws were all tight no high spots on the fan blade, as a last ditch effort I pushed down on the two wires that run to the fan and that was it, the red wire was higher than the black causing the rubbing. I will give it a few days to make sure the wires stay seated down but that is all it was. Great quality control!!