I need eggs from different clown species - Tomatos, pink skunks, maybe others

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
Folks,

I've fired up my rotifer cultures again and plan to start raising clowns again. I'm looking for folks with a breeding pair of clowns that would be willing to get their clowns to lay on something removable from their tank.

It's best to use simple white ceramic tiles from Home Depot, about 4"x4". I can mail them too you if you need me to. Try to place the tiles in the spot where your clowns usually lay. Rough side facing up. It works best if I remove the tiles just a few hours before they are going to hatch, so if you can keep track of when they usually hatch that would help me out. I would then come over to your place and pick up the tile and hatch them out.

I've successfully raised significant numbers of both common clowns and Maroons, so I know what I'm doing. If I'm successful raising your clowns I usually give you back a few if you want them once they are large enough to survive in a normal tank.

How about some Onyx or B+W clowns? hint hint, wink wink, nudge nudge know what I mean? know what I mean? :D
(want some, don't have any)

I have a pair of A. polymnus I got from Bec, but even though they eat like pigs they just don't want to lay.

My Clarkii's should be due any day now, I'll put something in there for them to lay on.
Is there any way to tell if they've been fertilized? Like I mentioned last night, the eggs appear every couple of weeks but they disappear after just a day or so.

The clowns have a spot on the rocks that they lay the eggs on where the anemone actually hits all the time. The clowns "pinch" the anemone back at that spot each time they're ready to spawn but within a day or so the eggs are gone and the anemone is back in "full bloom".

Rob,

Other than seeing if the eggs develop, I don't know how to tell. If they lay on something removable and you can artificially incubate them that would tell you. Trouble is, it's VERY difficult to efficiently artificially incubate them. The faning that the parents do works really well to oxygenate them without damaging them. If you try this just take the eggs and put an airstone DIRECTLY underneath them. You could have them in a separate container inside your main tank just for temp control. If you start to see the eyes develop you are all set.

eggs

Moe,

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the Marketplace forum ? After all, aren't most of these eggs going to hatch to produce babies that will then be sold ?

Chuck

Probably when they are for sale that post would go in the critters forum eh? Being that nothing is being sold here, that doesn't seem like it would make much sense.

Chuck,

Yes, eventually these babies will be sold. However, I don't exactly consider this a commerical post. :rolleyes: If I were not raising clowns myself, I think it would be cool to have someone raise clowns from my pair for me, and give me a few back in the future. Good insurance should you loose one of the pair. I did this with Randy H-F several years ago. He lost the male of his pair, I gave him another one (a child of the mother of course) and they eventually started mating again. It was a little difficult for Randy to explain the whole thing to his 5 year old child of course!!

Momma is my Sister, Grandma is my Auntie.....
I think it's a country song already?

I think interbreeding can cause weird banding. I bought a tank-raised ocellaris the had very bizzare banding that was attributed to to much interbreeding.

The royal families have wacky looking chin's, clownfish get wacky banding.

wacky banding happens regardless. Part of raising clowns is playing god.

I'm inspired and addicted and hope to be raising clownfish for a very long time.

Here's my take on this post though. If you have clowns that are laying eggs you "should" at least try to raise them or enable someone else to raise them.

I would like to get a couple different species going as well.
I -of course -would never sell them to BRS members in good standing.

Scarcity is what people pay for,- and the prolific nature of
clownfish that we seem to have amongst ourselves works against scarcity.

So, if for some reason someone has clowns that are spawning, I'd like to take them. Something tells me there's enough for everyone.

karl wagner said:
wacky banding happens regardless. Part of raising clowns is playing god.

I'm inspired and addicted and hope to be raising clownfish for a very long time.

Awesome. If and when my A. perculas decide who will wear the skirt and start mating, I will certainly get some tile and keep you in mind.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back