I need opinions.

sulcatadragon23

Non-member
Hello it’s been a long time. I’ve been out of the hobby for 5 years and I’m thinking of doing it again. My old thought was ( go big or go home ), my old system was around $10k.
I want fellow reefers opinions on nano set-ups, I’ve been looking at,
JBJ 28 gallon WiFi nano and the
Coralife 32 nano cube.
I would like to do a sump so I could use the apex equipment, and also have newer equipment. I have thought about a 75g with corner overflow, but for now live in carver and have well water with high iron and maganess. So making a lot of rodi water will be a problem. Smaller tank setup I can handle with water changes.

Welcome! I am getting back into it myself over the last year - things have changed / progressed a bit. The nice thing with the progression of LED's is that you need not worry about the heat transfer that many of us had with Halides - Although I still feel they are hard to beat for light quality.

If it were me, I would ditch (or modify) an all-in-one light system in favor of a XR15 .

Hi, I’m starting a nuvo 40 (we made our own stand) I also got some lights for it and will be using my current 3 years old nuvo 10 has a refugium. I was looking at the jbj and biocube and got really scared by the reviews on many different forums. If We had a bigger budget we would have treat ourselves to a Red Sea reefer series 40g which come with a sump but you need to buy the lights separately. ( we includes my husband) :p anyway you should look around and check the different options and the led lights are great and don’t kill the electric bill.

Honestly the reefer or water box setups right now are hard to beat, great quality, includes tank stand sump with all required plumbing in pricing,

get a skimmer return pump and lights and you’re good to go. Personally a reefer 250 is a great size and you can do 5g weekly water changes and be good to go.

Last edited:
I run a 29 Oceanic biocube with an Xr15 and Tunze DC 9004 skimmer. Works well for this setup.
Picture from a while ago for reference.
IMG_20190929_135932.jpg
IMG_20190929_135932.jpg
IMG_20190929_135932.jpg

If I was going to do a nano tank ,I would just go waterbox for it , get the complete package one or a Red Sea and everything is stream lined with both. Upfront cost will be a little more but it will look clean.

For regular tanks , I wouldn't do anything less than 150 gallons for a large tank, you just need the space. 75 gallon will be a tease and you will be upgrading in few years.

Ok so I pulled the trigger and bought the coralife LED 32 biocube. I got enough dry rock, live sand, and a heater. I ordered from Intank the media basket, and the refugium basket with refugium light. I’m looking and doing research for a power head.
The Coral box RN-1 reverse nano pump and the Coral box reef power RP-M are catching my eye.
I want a flatter wave pump inside the tank so it doesn’t look so bulky in their. I’ve had the Eco Tech pumps on my old system, but at this time their to pricy.
Any feed back on the Coral Box pumps would be great.

I run a wayerbox cube 10G on my office desk. upgraded the return pump to the mini maxi jet 606 but other than that no skimmer and water change once a moth. I run a Ai prime HD for lighting
91F39B78-D1EC-47B4-B52F-29D7CA2D982D.jpeg
26F40898-8B1B-4051-8804-6BA799B2F0FF.jpeg
EE1A2AC4-6D2A-48B4-832A-0E9D3A0BE65F.jpeg

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back