I think Bangaii's are maiting

Chris A.

Formally toomanyfish
BRS Member
They've been rubbing up on each other and out of light under a ledge.
What should I expect to see if they actually are maiting ?

Baby fish??? Condom wrappers? If it were my house... empty beer cans, clothes everywhere and the dog locked out of the bedroom...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Seriously, if it's like anything I've seen before, it will involve circling each other and abrupt movements and shimmies..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Keep an eye on their mouths. If the mating is complete, the eggs will be carried in the mouth of one of them, I believe the male and it will often open the mouth big and aerate the eggs in there. Babies will come out looking like adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They rubbing each other out?
Maybe they have ick and they were try to make the ick to fall off of their skin.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

I missed that part of mine. She's just protecting him and he's facing a rock the whole time

Awesome! I didn't realize they bred in captivity. Would you need a special fry tank or would they be fine since they are mouth brooders?

I guess it would be easier in a small tank just for clean up. They only need some fresh baby brine shrimp to eat. Also my other fish would most likely devour them lol

True! I hear a lot about clown breeding and raising but not cardinals. They are cheap enough when you find them. I wouldn't mind trying them again... especially if a member raised them [emoji6]

I probably will try at some point. It's tough in a apartment to setup a second tank and 3-4 bbs hatcheries

I missed that part of mine. She's just protecting him and he's facing a rock the whole time

If this is the case, then the eggs have been transferred into his mouth and shes protecting it. She should be more territorial as well by now. You should see eggs in his mouth in a few days when he gets a hang of them. Now he will keep his mouth shut and most likely wont eat for days. You can try to feed and the one not eating is the one carrying the eggs.

He doesn't eat and I read it's 28-30 days that he won't eat ( that's when they are ready to leave the mouth)

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back