I think Bangaii's are maiting

Don't know if the male will hold them. I don't feed them enough for him to go a month without eating lol

Banggais can easily be raised in captivity. I've raised many hundreds over the years. I've not had a breeding pair in many years, but it looks like I may have two pairs again. I purchased 5 juveniles and they seem to have paired off.

Banggais can easily be raised in captivity. I've raised many hundreds over the years. I've not had a breeding pair in many years, but it looks like I may have two pairs again. I purchased 5 juveniles and they seem to have paired off.
Any tips, tricks,ideas?

I purchased a trio. Two have clearly paired off and there is a third wheel who hangs on the opposite side of the tank.

Any tips, tricks,ideas?

They feel at home within the sea urchins. I believe the spiny sea urchins are the ideal kind, tall and pointy to give added protection when the babies hurdle inside. Others have DIY urchin replacement but I like all natural things to observe the specie behaviour better replicating its wild habitat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool thx
Maybe after I get a bigger place I can set something up, like 3-4 10 gallon tanks and just breed them with a long spine urchin in each tank

I made my own artificial urchin at one point with putty epoxy and black plastic zip-ties. You don't really need an urchin though. Best way to breed Banggais in my experience is count the days after the male stops eating. On day 21 at night turn the lights on all at once, this light shocks the male and makes it easy to scoop him up in a Tupperware container (GENTLY). Do NOT attempt to use a net as the male will immediately spit out the eggs. Move the male to a small tank (can even be a bare tank with low light and just an airstone). Wait another 2-3 days. When he spits them out make sure he's spit all of them out then return him to the main tank and feed him a LOT for the next few days as he might be carrying again within 1 week. Have fun. Both my males are now carrying eggs, but they are mighty young to start holding eggs, I kind of hope they dump the next few batches and wait until they are older/larger.

Mine ended up not holding on since he's small and was really underfed to take on a month of starvation. Hopefully they keep going at it, just wish they ate pellets.

Back