I think I beat dinoflagellates.

Jbotelho85

Non-member
So I've had a long strughle with dinoflagellates (dinos) and wanted to give up. It's been almost a year since I've had them, and I've trued everything. I did the three day blackout in conjunction with using coral snow, and no water changes, which they went away for a while. I then tried a five day blackout with marine snow, raising ph, and coral snow, with the same results. I then tried U.V., coral snow, blackout, and raising ph, again with little success.

This time however, I decided to siphon my sand to replace it. I siphoned about a quarter of it out, water change, and a blackout. I had some results, but they did not die. So my next course of action was to buy 20 pounds of Garf Grunge for my 90, siphome some more sand out, put the GARF Grunge in, three day blackout, with the U.V. going and I do not see a trace of dinos. It's been a week since and nothing yet. With the other methods, they would already be back. I do believe i had the dinos that retreated to the sand at night, and not in the water column.

I know this is anecdotal, but the bacteria and microorganisms may have played a role, or it could also be that i now have my windows open in the house more, so the PH stays higher? I run no skimmer, and just a 55 gallon sump full of chaeto and rock, whixh may have contributed the the duration of my dinos. Hope this will help someone.

I had them also... I did a 3 day blackout while dosing hydrogen peroxide. After the 3 days they were gone and the water was crystal clear like I’ve never seen before actually. I considered continuously dosing the peroxide but after asking on here and getting some negative feedback about it I didn’t. They started showing up again and I just did manual removal( 3/8 siphon tube I picked up at the cheapo depot) with my weekly 10% water change. Gone. Something I did notice which I think had a part to play in it is a odd smell coming from my 55 gl Brute rubber barrel that I store my unsalted rodi water in, I only add reef crystals salt in a 5 gl bucket as I need it before my water change. I have a small system... maybe 65 gls with sump. I really never cleaned it, now I clean it every 2nd or 3rd fill up. I’m not positive what did it but no more dinos.

Back