ID help

Joker

The clown prince himself
BRS Member
Officer
I seen these frags today and one of them I and the guy have no idea what it can be. But the other frag he says it’s a Jedi mind trick monti. To me it looks more like a season greetings monti ( I could be wrong). So tell me what you guys think (1st & 2nd pic). The second frag is a chalice but we both couldn’t figure out what it is hopefully you guys can help. I think the chalice is lacking in color so it may be hard to tell exactly(3rd & 4th pic)

83B999EA-D524-4C77-962B-8762C115C713.jpeg

8D0D137C-E7FD-4DE3-9A4B-C3D90CF1A503.jpeg

53469D14-78CA-4134-9794-BDD5DB578F09.jpeg

A52BFC10-2A6E-40E4-B896-F4F7BCA32022.jpeg

serwobow

BRS Member
I think that the monti is a jedi mind trick.
I have both the seasons greetings and the jedi mind trick in my tank, and am looking at them right now. There are a couple of differences that seem to distinguish them. First, the jedi mind trick has more prominent, larger red polyps. Second, the jedi mind trick has a purple/blueish growth ring, whereas the seasons greetings has a whitish growth ring. Their textures are also different, with the mind trick being a little smoother. On your coral, I can't tell the color of the growth ring, but the big red polyps and the smooth texture suggest to me that it is a jedi mind trick.

Joker

The clown prince himself
BRS Member
Officer
I think that the monti is a jedi mind trick.
I have both the seasons greetings and the jedi mind trick in my tank, and am looking at them right now. There are a couple of differences that seem to distinguish them. First, the jedi mind trick has more prominent, larger red polyps. Second, the jedi mind trick has a purple/blueish growth ring, whereas the seasons greetings has a whitish growth ring. Their textures are also different, with the mind trick being a little smoother. On your coral, I can't tell the color of the growth ring, but the big red polyps and the smooth texture suggest to me that it is a jedi mind trick.
In these pics of the monti the polyps are not even halfway out yet. He stressed the coral by moving it to the front so I can take a good pic. When I first saw it before the movement the polyps were very big

Last edited by a moderator:

Joker

The clown prince himself
BRS Member
Officer
I ended up getting this coral from my buddy for free. I dont think it's a monti cap at all. I just stumbled across the same looking coral on wwc. Let me know what you guys think.

First pic is my coral
20200213_235640.jpg

These next pics are from wwc website

20200213_235330.jpg

received_570926413493941.jpeg

Joker

The clown prince himself
BRS Member
Officer
The polyps on my frag do get large it's hard to tell in this pic

Upcoming Events

ZOOM MEETING ON Friday September 25, 2020 at 7PM with Derrick Picker of Reef Automation