ID this macro-algea for me?

sheffboyrd

Non-member
Hey guys,
The tank just finished cycling over the weekend and I did a large water change yesterday and things are going well. The cyano outbreak has subsided and now i have minimal algea growth. Anyways, my point with this thread is to ask about a patch of macro algea growing from one of the rocks in the tank. I know the picture isn't the greatest quality, but I think if any of you know what this is you'll recognize it. I hope...

Attachments

• Macro.JPG
    Macro.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 297
It might be red gracilaria. After my first tank cycled I noticed a patch on one of the rocks and it grew into a huge clump, but I gave it away because the fish were always picking at it and pieces of it would always clog the strainer on the PW's. Didn't have a sump at the time.

How did you remove it? I have a small tank so removing the whole rock would decrease the amount of LR in there by quite a bit. When i got the rock these were just nubs that had been clipped/eaten down to the rock so I didn't recognize what they were. So i'm guessing just cutting them down won't get rid of em.

I traded the rock in for another rock. The person I gave it to had a tang that loved the stuff so he was willing to do the trade. You can also do the same, or if you can, turn the rock so it's not getting enought light for it to grow. Might have to do reaquascaping?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back