Identifying/Controlling Algae

madducks42

Resident Nihilist
BRS Member
We have a 90 gallon tank that is just about a year old and we've encountered some new and exciting types of algae. Yay.

First up is this obnoxious patch that I can't get rid of, it sort of looks like Byropsis but all the pictures I can find of Byropsis are green not red/brown. So far it's only in one part of the tank. Unfortunately it's on a large piece of rock that I can't remove from the tank. And it's been growing right next to and sort of under one of my favorite mushrooms. I thought I got it all last month, this picture is actually from right before I cleaned it up. I scrapped it off the rock with a razor and then put some putty and glue over it. But it's back and now it's growing right underneath the mushroom so I'm not sure how I'm going to get to it. Any tips? I don't want this stuff to get out of control.

We have a couple patches of this stuff and I'm not sure what it is. It's not spreading that fast and it often grows out of the cracks of rocks.

I'm pretty sure this is red hair algae. This picture is from my frag tank but we have some of it in the display tank too. Assuming it's red hair algae...emerald crabs and hermit crabs for cleanup? I've tried manually removing it but I can't really grab it to get it out of the tank especially when it's growing close to the corals.

Well the algae issues basically resolved themselves, lol. I added a lawnmower blenny to my frag tank and it cleaned up all the algae growing on the frags within a few days. The mushroom grew over the Byropsis. And we blew the rust colored patches off the live rock and it hasn't come back. Yay!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back