If someone could make you skimmer/reactors/etc cheap?

If you could get a reactor/skimmer/calcium reactor/etc cheaper, would you get it?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I don't need stuff ever again after this past Black Friday

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mind

Non-member
I am currently doing the design of my first marine tank. I need to put my mechanical engineering degree to work.

Instead of buying a calcium reactor/etc, it is cheaper to just build it myself..... but only *IF* I had my own CNC router. However, I can build my own large router for around $1k, including being big enough to do a SUMP! I am thinking I should just make my own and "recover" costs by making units for others.

However, I don't want to build the CNC and then make only a few media reactors, a skimmer and a calcium reactor.

QUESTION: Would the below scenario be interesting to anyone:
- you knew someone in the group who had a CNC, and could cut parts for you
- they have a bunch of 3D designs ready to go, so you could pick a size of unit
- you paid for materials or brought your own (maybe snag off-cuts somewhere?)
- pay for machine time in cash/beer/frags/whatever
- either you built the reactor/etc yourself, or I do it

Example 3D model used to generate 2D drawing and full parts list for a Calcium Reactor so you guys know I have the ability to follow through:

calcium_reactor.PNG

I like where you’re going with this and I’ve gone down similar roads before for other projects.
I think if your sole purpose for getting the tools is to build fish tank equipment (things you’ll personally likely need one or two of) and plan to build more to sell, the costs of the tools maybe justified but might not be.

I personally like to collect tools I don’t have so it makes sense for me to do it. I always come up with random projects (not always fish tank related) and end up using them.

One thing I’ve considered and you may already know of are maker space/hack spaces. My logic is if I’m paying to use a tool, I might as well just buy it. But in your case, a CNC machine isn’t something most people go and buy, so these places might be a good option, especially if you won’t continuously need the tool. A friend of mine has good things to say about this place in Somerville. https://www.cambridgehackspace.com/

I’m curious how you make out, keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To answer your questions, yes I’d definitely be interested in knowing someone with a CNC machine.
Too many ideas and not enough tools [emoji24]

It’s definitely something that people need/want at a reasonable price point. I’d be down for a cheato reactor right now.the one I have is too small

I personally like to collect tools I don’t have so it makes sense for me to do it. I always come up with random projects (not always fish tank related) and end up using them.

One thing I’ve considered and you may already know of are maker space/hack spaces.
I am the same way. I checked out the Watertown Library HATCH Makerspace, but I thought they wanted $300 for training on the CNC by a 3rd party. Of course, I could be wrong, and I cannot find that webpage atm :(

I emailed the Makerspace contact email address .... hopefully they get back to me soon!

like to swap my vertex media reactor for something just as nice but matched my sump, also a fleece roller to match same sump and dosing containers that look like books on a book shelf and a 3D printed model of the orca from jaws and and and. So ye a fellow reefer with tech tools sounds frickin awesome.

The reason voted no:
Warranty, you are going to needed.

To answer your questions, yes I’d definitely be interested in knowing someone with a CNC machine.
Too many ideas and not enough tools [emoji24]

What he said.
I'd love to make my own skimmers and stuff.

The reason voted no:
Warranty, you are going to needed.

Not buying it..... How many of you have more than one skimmer ? Why did you need more than one ? Old one has a proprietary pump or needle wheel that broke ? I bet you bought another one because you cannot get spares for the previous one!

** excludes the "I-needed-a-bigger-one-due-to-tank-upgrade" ... or the ... "I-needed-a-backup-in-case-this-one-broke" explanations!

Reactors should be bulletproof unless you:
- make them out of acrylic that is too thin
- drive a car over them
- pressurize them till they explode (an aquarium centrifugal pump could not produce enough pressure to do this)

To be clear, what I was proposing was:
- off-the-shelf components like pumps (supply your own)
- I do design and cut acrylic
- you or I do the gluing of the acrylic and PVC components
- skimmer would be a venturi design, not a needle wheel/downdraft/beckett/airstone

Something breaks ?
- one of us screwed up the glue bond
- the item was dropped/abused to the point of critical damage
- the design sucks (which would be 100% on me!!!)

Full disclosure: for me, this idea is:
1) a way for me to meet people in the hobby and maybe make some new friends with a common interest since I moved to MA a little while ago
2) recover the cost of a CNC router

Mostly (1) though.... :)

-R

You are welcome to try.
But good skimmer are so inexpensive these days and I am not sure there is a cost benefit of making one

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back