I'm back! (partially)

Nicole79

Zoa addict
Hi Everyone!

After a 2 year hiatus, I am back.... Some of you know that I was attending school nights, raising 4 kids and working full time ...add to that the fact that electricity rates had just skyrocketed... and I just had to take a hiatus......So just about 2 years ago. I broke down my 40B and sold everything. (now wishing I'd saved some of it!)

I focused on school the first year and got all my prerequisites done, applied and was accepted to the Nursing Program at NECC. I Was supposed to start this fall but my oldest son (had just turned 18) was diagnosed with brain cancer in February (malignant melanoma) I postponed school until next fall and we have been battling his cancer for 6 months now.

I kept telling myself that when the time was right, that I would get back into it. I finally realized that There may never be "the right time" so this weekend I crawled into my attic, scrounged up a Mr. aqua 12 gallon that i had been hanging onto and set her up! Now begins the long wait while my little nano cycles. watching my tank was the biggest stress reliever I have ever known. I cant wait to see this one come to life :)

I'm excited to be back and hope that I still recognize some of you! and hopefully some of you remember me!

My setup is nothing fancy, but for now, it will do the job for a few softies, zoas, maybe even some LPS and my favorite sea creature, the starry blenny! <3 <3

Once I get the tank cycled I look forward to stocking it, so I'll be keeping an eye the forums. If anyone knows where can get a nice little piece of anthelia, I'd gladly scoop it up when my tank is ready... I had a beauty of a piece that I had gotten at a BRS Fragging meeting a while back, so I know its out there :)

~Nicole

Welcome back.
I will give you a bunch of free frags once your tank is ready.

Thank you Dong!!
I'm glad to see you are still at it

I'll be in touch when my tank cycles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fdc52f855ff598c47899859af7e5bf21.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome back! Love the shallow reef tanks, I have a deep blue 60g is that what yours is too

i am digging the rock work. what are you going to use for filtration? what are you planning for inhabitants? just the starry blenny? that is my favorite blenny too :)

Hi I currently have a cheap Tom Rapids canister filter on it, Its 80 gallons per hour...I'm Not sure if I will change it out or not. Since its only a 12 gallon tank.
I briefly considered drilling it and using a sump, but the tank is next to my bed and there is no room for it. I have two koralia nanos for flow in addition to the return from the canister filter.
I should be able to rely heavily on water changes. I know it will only be a matter of time before I want to go larger, But for now I'll just be happy with what i have :)

The starry blenny is my absolute favorite, I'm not thinking the tank will hold much more to be honest...maybe a firefish or two... The rockwork was just kind thrown in there...I bought two pieces of live rock to seed the tank, and I threw in a small piece of raw shrimp to get the cycle going.

being patient is the hard part :D

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back