Inherited Red Sea Max 250 and LED question...

alabella1

Non-member
Hey all! Just joined the page I recently inherited a RSM 250 from my office as they decided they no longer wanted to pay for the upkeep. So 2 weeks ago we moved it into my house and so far it's doing great. Got everything I need for the care, kept all the original water and life in tact post move. Added some new fish. But now onto my issue. Only 2 T5s were on so I bought 6 replacement bulbs so I could get going on a replacement schedule. Come to find out, only 2 fixtures actually work. So it could be ballasts, could be something else. I don't know. All that said, I've heard from some fellow enthusiasts to look into LEDs. So I've been doing that and boy there's a lot out there. I've narrowed it down to a handful of options, but I don't really know what to do. Here is what I found in other forums and through researching.
Ideally I want something I can just drop into the current hood with little or no modifications save removing the current T5s and dropping something new in there.
The leader is the Kessil AP700 which i just found a sick deal on for $550
Steve's LEDs - RED SEA MAX 250/C250 LED UPGRADE - PLUG AND PLAY - $799 but you know I'm gonna throw the add ons to make it $875
Reefbreeders - Photon 32-V2+ - $589 - look decent but not sure about the controls on them.
Aqua Illumination AI Hydra 32HD LED -$366 x 2
Noopsyche K7 PRO II LED Light - $155 x 2 and controller for $57
Current Orbit Marine IC PRO LED Reef Aquarium Dual Light System with Wireless Loop - $225
VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control Dimmable 300w - $290
and finally... the cheapo option but might just be worth a try...
DSunY T75 Reef Led Aquarium Light - $185
Any help, recommendations, reviews would be so helpful as I'm driving myself insane trying to make the right/easiest decision here.

I don’t have much experience with the larger tanks. But I’d say if you’re wanting the original lid, probably Steve’s would be your best bet. A lot of the other high end led setups need to be mounted higher over the water. I’m curious to see what other, more experienced reefers say! Awesome grab for you though! And welcome!

Personally, save some money and buy a ballast for $50, I've run led's before and now run all T5's. Blanket coverage.

Last edited:
I ran into the same issue with myRed Sea max 250. Aside from the lights and ballasts replacement, there are also multiple fans in the hood that will need replacements. Seeing parts are scarce and that will only become more challenging, I opted for removing the hood, adding a Red Sea diy screen and purchased a reefbreeders photon V2+ I originally used the legs but getting in and out of the tank made that an issue so I ended up hanging mine and I couldn’t be happier Removing the hood also solved the heating issue (more reliance on a chiller) that the t5 hood caused too. Hope that helps!

I ran into the same issue with myRed Sea max 250. Aside from the lights and ballasts replacement, there are also multiple fans in the hood that will need replacements. Seeing parts are scarce and that will only become more challenging, I opted for removing the hood, adding a Red Sea diy screen and purchased a reefbreeders photon V2+ I originally used the legs but getting in and out of the tank made that an issue so I ended up hanging mine and I couldn’t be happier Removing the hood also solved the heating issue (more reliance on a chiller) that the t5 hood caused too. Hope that helps!
Ok... tell me more about about this diy screen and maybe post some pix

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 411
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 451
I have a portion of the Red Sea lid that covers the back filter but I usually leave it off because I like to see what’s going on in there

I have the Reefbreeders for my RSM 250. Once you gut the lid, it fits right in there. I run the power cord through the fan vent on the side of the hood. Make sure the fans on the side of the hood are working since you need them to vent whatever light you put in there.

I have the Reefbreeders for my RSM 250. Once you gut the lid, it fits right in there. I run the power cord through the fan vent on the side of the hood. Make sure the fans on the side of the hood are working since you need them to vent whatever light you put in there.
All the fans are in working order. Once you gutted the hood how did you mount the RB in there? I assume you don't want it to sit on the glass.

I have the rsm 250 with Steve's LEDs. I bought it second hand so I'm not sure if newer is better but happy with the system. Everything growing well with plenty of room to bump up intensity.

All the fans are in working order. Once you gutted the hood how did you mount the RB in there? I assume you don't want it to sit on the glass.
It just sits on the glass, and only slides a little when you open the lid all the way. Logan from Reefbreeders did it for me and said it was fine. I've had it for a couple of years now.

I have the Steve's LEDs on my RSM C-130. It took me some time to figure out that the white was way too powerful, but new I get good growth on everything.

Well, after much research, discussion and deliberation I took the plunge and I'm going to try the Steves LEDs retrofit kit. Seemed like the easiest and best install option as it's made custom for my hood. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes and post some pix when done. Thanks for all your input and fingers crossed this all goes well.

Good luck with the project and looking forward to seeing the pics. Also I purchased new replacement RSMax 250 parts from Marine and Reef. You’ll just want to know if you have the older RSMax 250 or the Red Sea Max C250 - the parts are a little different !

Good luck with the project and looking forward to seeing the pics. Also I purchased new replacement RSMax 250 parts from Marine and Reef. You’ll just want to know if you have the older RSMax 250 or the Red Sea Max C250 - the parts are a little different !
Pretty sure it's the older one. How can you tell the difference?

For 39w ballast, it is the same for 250 and C250.

each ballast will drive two bulbs, you need two ballasts.
When you replace them, put the new ballast next to the old one, take a photo of the wiring of the old ballast, then move one wire at a time from the old ballast to new ballast.

Back