Innovative Marine 50 ext build

Intheflesh

Non-member
I have been hi-acking my old Reefer350 thread, so I thought it was best to start its own thread.

Cliff Notes:
Set up RSR350 October 10/17
A few months back, I decided I wanted a smaller tank, ordered an IM 50 EXT.
First tank came in damaged, sent out a replacement. Replacement took about a month to receive.

EQUIPMENT LIST (changed a little)

Lights: XR30 g5 pro ( I have 2 currently, probably going to use 1, or sell both and get a pair of xr15s since they are on sale right now)
Circulation: mp40 (similarly, I have a pair. I could use both and turn them way down, or sell them and get a pair of MP10s).
Return: Jebao dc6500 (already have)- might not fit in new sump, might need to downsize to 4500
Skimmer: Aquamaxx FC120.
Zeovit reactor - Aquamaxx 1L reactor
Sump: 18" cube from Advanced Acrylics, along with a matching narrow ATO reservoir. (model shows a 16")
ATO: Apex ATK.

I was going to upgrade to the new wi-fi apex, but I think I am going to stick to my old apex "classic" for now as I am a bit over budget.

Sketch up has been my best freind during the planing stages.
Lights: XR30 g5 pro ( I have 2 currently, probably going to use 1, or sell both and get a pair of xr15s since they are on sale right now)
Circulation: mp40 (similarly, I have a pair. I could use both and turn them way down, or sell them and get a pair of MP10s).
Return: Jebao dc6500 (already have)- might not fit in new sump, might need to downsize to 4500
Skimmer: Really wanted the Skimz Kone SK181 for the price (there was only 1 left on BRS), but missed out on it. Ended up going with Aquamaxx FC120.
Zeovit reactor - Aquamaxx 1L reactor
Sump: 16" cube from Advanced Acrylics, along with a matching narrow ATO.

I think I am going to stick to my old apex "classic" for now as I am a bit over budget.

Skethcup has been my best friend during the planning process. Here are a few more renderings. My floor pan is missing some cutouts, and plumbing is far from complete. But it is more for proof of concept and to verify that components will fit.

steel stand(6).png

steel stand(5).png

steel stand(4).png

My replacement tank arrived yesterday, luckily in one piece.
I am a little disappointed at the transport company. IM was smart, and placed and shrink wrapped an empty box on top of the tank, and marked it "DO NOT STACK". The box was crushed, so obviously something was stacked on top of the tank during the shipping process.

IMG_E1061.JPG

Both tank appear to be built well. The seems are better on the replacement tank. But the caulking and film on the new tank are extremely sloppy.

Original tank that came in damaged:
IMG_E1070.JPG

IMG_E1071.JPG

IMG_E1076.JPG

Last edited:
Repleacement Tank:

IMG_E1072.JPG

Seems are better on new tank:
IMG_E1073.JPG

But overflow box is extremely sloppy:
IMG_E1075.JPG

Last edited:
Damage to original tank. Its a little hard to see because of the film, but the whole back pane is cracked:

IMG_1064.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG

Damn that stinks. I hope they take care of you and send you a new unit...

Yeah, IM sent me a new tank. Took about a month to receive it though. The replacement tank is the one I received yesterday. The overflow is on opposite sides than the original damaged one, which is kind of interesting.

Wow really...

Good luck with build and post pics as you go along. i'll be following for sure...

Quick question on that graph/illustration of the tank is that something everyone could use? Please advise as i'm trying to think of a build but would like to put it on paper without having to draw it out. Thanks in advanced...

Yeah - Its called sketchup. The web based version is free; there's a downloadable version as well. That latter probably costs money. I'm not a draftsman by any means, but its pretty intuitive once you start playing with it.

Not much to update. Tank is in the garage getting water tested. Sump, and ATO reservoir arrived last night. Need to water test the sump. I have not fully unwrapped it, but it appears to be great quality, and was packed really well. Thanks to Advanced Acrylics. Its and 18" cube with 7" sock holder. In retrospect, I wish i went with dual 4" sock holders.

IMG_1086.JPG

IMG_1094 copy.jpg

Last edited:
I'm excited to get this up and running. This is my first IM tank, and it appears to be very well built.

Only thing I am waiting on at this point is the stand. I work at a fabrication shop and I'm having it built here. We've been super busy, so unfortunately my stand is takin a little longer.

My stand is finally built! Took a while, but we have been super busy at work. They had a chance to build it last night. Super excited to go forth with the build

265ACC69-911F-4C4C-BA13-6D64EC78F741.jpeg

Solid looking stand. Looks like you'll have great access to that sump. Access makes life easier.

Good looking stand. Do you have plans to seal, paint or powder coat it?

Slow build. Life gets in the way, the holidays, and then we found out we’re possibly moving in a couple months. but I’ve been tackling this when I have a few moments here and there.

I built shaker style panel doors, held in place by magnets. Unfortunately the magnets aren’t strong enough to hold the panels vertically, so the panels slide down to the floor. I’m going to put some cleats on the bottle to help hold them up. Exterior is going to be sanded and painted black, interior will just be sealed with poly and left natural to keep things bright inside the stand.
99EC57EB-8AB5-42F1-9E9E-CB69980062EA.jpeg

AA1C7479-09E8-469C-8B76-2944690DA29C.jpeg
99EC57EB-8AB5-42F1-9E9E-CB69980062EA.jpeg
574506AD-A550-4150-A2BE-35A191052CED.jpeg

A2B0CC2B-3C4D-4A9A-9A43-0DDE352C1EEE.jpeg

Harbor freight sells large magnet strips to hold tools on just a thought they are pretty strong

Build has been slow because we have been moving over the last few weekends.

Here’s a preview. Need to make some more water. On the right is the start of my electronics cabinet. Probably going to strip the paint from the doors and stain them to match the room better.

F3809B02-D345-406E-9EFF-1FE4996C387D.jpeg

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back