Interesting point

marco67

Smart is.. a box of rocks
BRS Member
I was just reading in another forum. The discussion was between importers and wholsalers. Basicly talking about what Jobbers/cherry pickers do to the supply and to the LFS and end user ....
Anyhow something I had never thought of was posted, if true it makes me feel better about the impact of our hobby on the wild.

"Thats because 99% of all corals are brown! Take a look at Jen Veron "Corals of the world" Three part book , even most of the acros in that book are un sellable in a retail store because they are brown! Thats why its silly to think coral collection can harm the reefs. While we might remove the brite colored corals ......ninty nine percent are never even given a second look."

What do you think?
Marc

I haven't been to an area that really has SPS corals...that I know of. Interesting if that is true. But a lot underwater does look brown...

Very interesting. . . I have snorkled all through the Caribbean as well as Cozumel and Grand Cayman, Roatan, and Belize. I just thought that the reason I only saw brown and green corals was because I wasn't going down deep enough to see the "pretty" corals - but that's silly cuz all the colorful corals must be in shallow water . ... I was so amazed by the fish that I didn't miss the "pretty" corals. I just figured the acros were in Australia and Indonesia ....

Now I don't feel so bad .. .

Last edited:
If that statement is true it still does not make me feel better about the coral collection. Even if they only collect the "colorful coral" they are still depleting the enviorment of those corals. They must be colorful for some reason and by taking those specimens out of their enviorment, they are unable to multiply that trait of color.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back