Is 3D printing with wood and plastic materials ok?

UnderArmour1980

Non-member
Is 3D printing with wood and plastic materials ok?
My friend has a 3D printer that uses plastic and wood based materials to create object like tree branches or caves. Does anybody know anything about this and what types of plastics and wood base materials can he use or look for? Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

I've seen that people have been making some reef stuff with it but don't know what they use

Did they say what kind of plastics people were using. They simulate wood or whatever color material..
Have a spare 55 gallon and my friend can print anything. White skeleton maybe...? Lol

@fragfreaks prints frag plugs. I got one from him no harm to the inhabitants. He might be able to chime in on if there is a specific plastic or density he uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't recall the source for this but there was a report a year or two ago that someone was printing frag racks that turned out to have some level of toxicity
to them, its not enough to know the material used alone but any binder used in the mix might be more likely to be toxic than the plastic used.

Jim

Most use ABS. it's likely fine under normal temps. It might release some bad stuff when melting. Black plumbing is usually abs.
I wouldn't use PLA. This is used as an alternative biopellet sometimes.

Ok good information, a project that has been curtailed at the moment. Now i know which plastic to use when making the skeleton... Thank you...

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back