29 budget build

Luke_WHS

Non-member
Anyone know what kind of starfish this is
D591CD88-E6A9-4710-B256-F427B7793CC9.jpeg

Asterina. Very common hitchhiker. 99% of the time harmless. They eat a good amount of slime algae in my system

That's were the 99% comes in. Most are herbivores a small percentage are rebels and could eat coral. That is very rare though

I'm too lazy to research it, but I wonder if there is scientific evidence that the "1%" eat coral? I have a bunch in my tank and they seem harmless. One thing that I did witness though is after injecting majano with boiling water to kill them, one of these starfish was right on top of it for some time. So maybe the 1% don't even eat coral, maybe they just feed off the dead? (and yes, I know anemone are not coral. but maybe the same occurs)

I'm too lazy to research it, but I wonder if there is scientific evidence that the "1%" eat coral? I have a bunch in my tank and they seem harmless. One thing that I did witness though is after injecting majano with boiling water to kill them, one of these starfish was right on top of it for some time. So maybe the 1% don't even eat coral, maybe they just feed off the dead? (and yes, I know anemone are not coral. but maybe the same occurs)
I agree, they likely get a bad reputation because they eat stressed/dying corals and not the actual healthy living coral. They are in my tank and 0% coral eating has been witnessed.

I just did a 30% water change to my 29 gallon and my ammonia level hasn’t moved is there anything I should get to decrease ammonia levels it is at .50 ppm right now or do I just wait until they go down

Ammo-lock and Prime water conditioners claim to detoxify it. From my experience it does help.

How long has the tank been set-up?

Ammonia is expected then. I'd just wait it out and let the nitrogen cycle happen.
Is this the tank that you found the star in? If so, what else do you have in there?

i had put live rock in the tank because I was told that helps the cycle and the star was on the rock and I have nothing else

Okay, all you are saying is expected. The live rock will help speed up the cycle. Should take about a month for ammonia and nitrite to zero out. I suggest doing no water changes or additives until it does. At that point you'll see nitrate building. This is a good time to a one or two small fish. Keep addition of livestock to a minimum and watch for spikes in ammonia and nitrite. for a few months.

You're at the hardest part of keeping a tank. Waiting for it to be ready...

Back